health issues: good news/bad news

Nothin' to do with blues? The name says it all. You might try e-mail or Personal Message, but if those don't work for you, put it here, not in the blues forums above. Thanks!

Re: health issues: good news/bad news

Postby gcd revue » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:01 pm

Most Thai food is gluten-free. The predominant grain in Eastern cooking being rice, it's pretty safe. Not to mention tasty. And if ya like HOT...they got it goin' on. Since fish don't feed on grain...and in most places don't have to be purchased at a store, it's an excellent meat option. If ya want I can probably give you a few pointers on evading the local fish & game cops, too, if season is a difficulty there. (Show me a warrant and I'll plead the 5th) Having fostered several Autism Spectrum kids, many of whom have gluten allergies (the 10-year-old we're adopting has gluten AND dairy allergies), we've gotten pretty good at finding good alternatives that the whole household can live with. If ya want info, let me know...and BTW....Douglas County Oregon isn't exactly metropolitan...mostly out of work loggers and mill workers here.
gcd revue
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:02 pm

Thai food is a good suggestion, but you need to be careful with it (and other Asian cuisine), at least if you go to a restaurant. They use a lot of soy sauce, which can be ok, but it is sometimes made with wheat. There are also things like oyster sauce, terriyaki sauce, hoisin sauce, peanut sauce, etc. that they also sneak wheat into sometimes. And at my local thai joint, they cook their rice noodles and wheat noodles in the same water, so you can end up with cross-contamination from that. So, if at all possible, talk to the cook before ordering anything.

And I don't know if this has been brought up at all, but there are a couple companies making enzymes you can take to help digest small amounts of gluten. You couldn't take one and eat a normal sandwich, or anything like that, but they'll help if you accidentally eat a little bit of something at a restaurant.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby david » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:25 pm

Ha!! Tai food in western Kentucky? It ain't going to happen. Taco Johns is considered foriegn food here.

I had a friend from Tailand when I was in grad school out in Boulder, Co. and while studying for the pre-dissertation exams we would sometimes eat at his place. I like hot food; it focuses the mind. But that stuff was beyond all reason. Talk about peeling the shingles off the roof!! And laying on your side propped on a pillow while you eat takes some getting used to even when you aren't in excruciating pain from those demonic little peppers. Those things burn going in, coming out, and every inch of the way in between.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby gcd revue » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Good for what ails ya! Excellent way to cauterize the internals. :wink: Fact is, though, you can make Thai out of what you have in the garden...it's pretty simple. In fact, I had homemade red curry with pork last night that turned out reasonably well. And you can make it as hot or as mild as you want. Just an alternative for a tasty meal at home. More and more, stores are carrying dairy- and gluten-free foods. Even HERE...though I suspect it's due to the large number of cancer patients/survivors around here, along with the high incidence of Autism Spectrum and FASD kids.
gcd revue
Regular

Previous

Return to Way off Topic