health issues: good news/bad news

Nothin' to do with blues? The name says it all. You might try e-mail or Personal Message, but if those don't work for you, put it here, not in the blues forums above. Thanks!

Re: health issues: good news/bad news

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:33 pm

allanlummox wrote:But it's the same taste I disliked as a little kid, so I see what you mean.

I don't ever really drink, although I have drank quite a bit at my age, but when I was younger I would taste my dad's beer and I thought it was awful. Today, I really do like some beers. It's weird how taste-buds evolve over time.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby david » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:23 pm

[quote="ricochetThey're there so guys can boast of how many they can drink before they spew. Kinda like eating raw oysters. There's NO reason to do that other than to show off one's tolerance of disgusting gross offal, and to hopefully dodge the bullets of turning yellow or having profuse watery diarrhea so you can impress the babes with your powerful immune system.[/quote]

Rico, you sure have a way with words. Now I'm not sure I really want to drink the stuff anymore.

I've always preferred dark beers myself--like Guiness. Light should not be able to penetrate a good beer. I'm betting the gluten free beers are all watery, like the diet beers that are so popular these days. Yuck.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:37 am

For millennia, people have been making beer. I didn't say men, I suspect it was a kitchen invention. Brewed of malted grain, it was mildly sweet stuff. A few hundred years ago someone probably accidentally set up the kettle under the hop vine growing over the back porch, and some flower buds fell in. It messed up the beer, but the hausfrau told her husband, "I made this especially for you. It tastes big and strong and manly, just like you are." The sap drank it, went around boasting about his special strong manly beer, and his buddies had to keep up. Didn't want to look wimpy. But when they're having a celebration, they brew up that old dark, sweet stuff that's so good, and more like the original.

Related were the inventions of stinky cheese and sauerkraut. Food gone bad. Wasn't any more, so they had to eat it or starve. But they talked it up like it was a special delicacy they were privileged to, instead of having to eat trash that should've gone to the European ecological equivalents of possums, whatever they may be.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Dalron » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:56 am

The second best thing about beer is that Australia's national food - Vegemite :D :D :D - is made from the leftover yeast and stuff.

http://www.vegemite.com.au
Dalron
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:59 am

Welcome to the gang, David.

I've been eating gluten free since my freshman year in high school, about 5 years ago. The first couple months are the hardest, but it gets easy really fast. I gained about 30 pounds in the first six months of being gluten free. It's a healthier way to eat, whether you have celiac or not.

Also, there are a few companies making gluten free beer. My dad (who also eats gluten free) is quite fond of one made from sorghum, but the brand is slipping my mind. I'm still not of the drinking age, so it's not high on my list of things to care about. I've never been too fond of beer, though.

By the way, a friend of mine came up with the tag "wheat-tard" for me. It's fitting.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:44 pm

guitarslim101 wrote:My dad (who also eats gluten free) is quite fond of one made from sorghum, but the brand is slipping my mind.

Redbridge, perhaps?
ricochet
Regular

Postby david » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:00 pm

Guitar Slim, you'll have to keep me posted about food options. My problem here in the boonies is that there is no place to buy the specialty "health food" stuff. I still haven't figured out how to eat at any restaurant, except crispy tacos.

I am six feet two inches and have always wieghed in the neighborhood of 150 -155. This summer I dropped down to around 140 and sometimes a bit less. That was during the time when my hemoglobin was so low they were giving me blood transfusions. They tell me I should start gaining weight now, so I guess I have to start worrying about getting fat for the first time in my life.

It was kind of cool being the only guy around in his fifties with no belly hanging over the belt.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:41 pm

Looks like there's stuff you can have delivered;

http://www.glutenfreemall.com/?gclid=COPzxaK86JQCFST7iAodxDEMRw
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby david » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:01 pm

Have you checked out the prices on the specialty foods? Especially mail order! I have always eaten more than any two or three other people. Farmers have long referred to organic produce as "Yuppie Chow." It is great to be able to get the extra price when you're selling it, but when you are the one buying it, it doesn't look like such a good deal. That's why sociologists refer to poor neighborhoods in the cities as "food deserts." Nothing available but junk.

To eat the quantities I am used to of that stuff, I'd have to get another job--as if teaching and farming weren't enough already. Of course, I went for the big money occupations: philosophy and farming.

You know the best way to make a small fortune farming? Start with a large fortune.

Before I had kids we raised an acre of heavily planted garden every year and canned and froze all summer long. Kids changed my priorities and took away the time I had to piddle around in my garden. Looks like I'm going to have to go long on the homegrown again. (Actually, with me laid low this summer my kids have done almost all the garden work and barn chores. I'm going to miss those scamps when they go off to college!)

I just picked a shopping bag full of squash, two bags full of sweet corn and a goodly quantity of okra, tomatos, peppers and eggplant today. If I didn't have this garden right now, I don't know what I'd be eating.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:06 pm

Yea, but all that sounds GREAT.

What kind of peppers?
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:09 pm

david wrote:I have always eaten more than any two or three other people.

I know it'll be hard after all these years, but you may have to drop the tapeworm off at the shelter.
ricochet
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:18 am

I sent you a PM with a bit of information in it.

It mentions a 4 ingredient peanut butter cookie, here's the recipe:

1 cup peanut butter (JIF or Skippy work best, and you can use crunchy if you want bits of peanut in your cookies)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
*Optional* a couple handfuls of chocolate chips

Mix them together and scoop the batter on to a cookie sheet in typical cookie sizes. Bake them at 350 degrees for 12 minutes, take them out of the oven and let them cool on the sheet for a while (they fall apart if you take them off warm). They are pretty good.

As far as restaurants go, it doesn't hurt to call early in the day and ask if you can talk to the cook. A lot of the larger restaurant chains have information on their websites, and some even have menus that are specifically gluten free or at least mention common allergens.

Bard's Tale is the beer my dad drinks. http://www.bardsbeer.com
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby david » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:19 pm

Wow. Thanks for all the info and tips and recipies.

Rico, I can't get rid of my pet tapeworm! It seems to have the metabolism of a humming bird.

Mr. Lummox, I've got Tabasco peppers and sweet bannana peppers. I didn't plant bell peppers this year, for some reason that I can't remember right now. The first kind of rice bread I tried, and some of the gluten free cereals, really suck, but most of what available and safe is pretty good.

The last few days I have been gaining some stamina. For the last couple of months I"ve been just out of it. Going to the barn to feed would give me the head spins and I'd be seeing spots for hours. The spots were kind of cool, but I can do without the spinning. Even just a bit of energy coming back is worth the strange diet.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:12 am

Glad you're feeling better!

My tapeworm died. I sure do miss it.
ricochet
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:21 am

Hey, my tapeworm is alive and well. I eat pretty much all day, and I've even been doing a pseudo-vegetarian thing all summer (I still eat fish and seafood, but I've been feeling great). There's plenty to eat without eating gluten.
guitarslim101
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Way off Topic