health issues: good news/bad news

Nothin' to do with blues? The name says it all. You might try e-mail or Personal Message, but if those don't work for you, put it here, not in the blues forums above. Thanks!

Re: health issues: good news/bad news

Postby ricochet » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:09 pm

NO BEER?! :shock:

Hey, right now I'm sucking down a Blenheim hot ginger ale. Great stuff!
ricochet
Regular

Postby david » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:58 pm

I can not believe all beer has gluten. I've been trying to find a listing of gluten free beers, but no luck. I've found lists of gluten free everything else, but no beer.

This is serious.

Of course, homemade corn squeezins are gluten free, and therefore must be good for me. :D
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:07 pm

When I get back to work after my couple days off, I will ask our wine/beer steward at the store if she knows of any Gluten free beer. I'm sure that we carry at least one type. If I find out anything, I'll let you know.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:49 pm

My sister has to cook gluten free at her daycare (along with sugar free, this-free, that-free, etc). She's come up with some interesting recipes.

re: beer:
http://www.foxbarrel.com/
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art30583.asp
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby Dalron » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:37 am

david wrote:I can not believe all beer has gluten. I've been trying to find a listing of gluten free beers...

I've found gluten-free beers in Australia so I would be VERY surprised if you don't have some in the good ole U S of A:

http://www.beerguide.com.au/articles/gluten-free-beer
Dalron
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:22 am

david wrote:
I've been reading through the list of what I can and cannot eat and just realized the worst part of this yet: BEER IS NOT ALLOWED!!!!! This is getting really serious.

Allah has been merciful yet again to me, wine & cider & whisky are entirely acceptable alternatives for me. :mrgreen:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby david » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:07 pm

Ok, there are some gluten free beers in the U.S. There is a gluten beer tasting festival held somewhere, and Budweiser makes a gluten free variety. I have no idea how they taste, but I hope to find out.

The bad news: none of them seem to be available out here in the hinterlands of far western Kentucky. Looks like another excuse to go to Nashville.

I haven't had more than a couple of beers at a sitting in a LONG time. But on a hot day a beer sure goes down easy.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:35 pm

ricochet
Regular

Postby cas » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:26 pm

That sucks David 'though it sounds like you've got a pretty good attitude about it. I'm not sure I would, even though I don't drink beer. Figuring out how & what to eat will be the hardest, but eventually it'll be second nature. Good luck!

Carol

P.s. Love the Colon song Ric!!
cas
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:29 pm

Least your ok for the most part David.

And what do you mean gluten free beer?

And if they take it out? Will it stop tasting like pee?
Derekslide
Regular

Postby david » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:15 pm

Cas, you are right, it will be second nature soon, just another transition to shake me loose from my rigid habitualities. The Lankavatara Sutra claims habitualities of thought and action rob us of our free will, so maybe this is a good thing. I have noticed I'm getting more "set in my ways" in my old age than I ever thought I would. I'm at least glad to know the cause of the symptoms I've been having. This has been a very non-productive summer!

I've been vegetarian for over 30 years, so eating patterns that others don't understand won't be anything new. The big difference is that before when some idiot would ask, "Can you eat this?," the answer was always, "I can eat anything I want--there ain't no rules, I just don't want to eat that." Now the anwser will be, "Yes, I can eat that, but I'll be laid out for a week if I do."

As for the taste of the beer, my stepfather (an oldtime moonshiner) gave me my first taste of beer long ago. He told me in advance that beer "tastes like horse p1ss, but you can learn to like it if nothing else is available." I didn't think to ask him how he knew about the comparison. I've always been a sorgham fan, so maybe this new stuff will be better.

I found a Budweiser site that had a deal where you could type in your zip code and find the nearest distrubuter for that Redbridge beer. Nothing near me. I'll talk to some of the local store owners to see if they can get it.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:33 pm

I've never seen it, but surely they can order it.

I've never quite figured out why someone thought it a good idea to put hops in the stuff and make it taste like waste, but as noted you can get used to it. :)
ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:49 pm

Hops is the flavor that tastes "beeriest " to me - and I love a nice hoppy IPA. But it's the same taste I disliked as a little kid, so I see what you mean.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grumpygroo » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:49 pm

ricochet wrote:I've never quite figured out why someone thought it a good idea to put hops in the stuff and make it taste like waste

You realise, I hope, this is serious, big time, heresy, Rico. :twisted:
grumpygroo
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:27 pm

Nah, I'm used to the stuff. Just finished one. But the hops aren't there because they make it good. They provide the urological aspect of the beer drinking experience. They're there so guys can boast of how many they can drink before they spew. Kinda like eating raw oysters. There's NO reason to do that other than to show off one's tolerance of disgusting gross offal, and to hopefully dodge the bullets of turning yellow or having profuse watery diarrhea so you can impress the babes with your powerful immune system.
ricochet
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Way off Topic