BBQ Anyone?

Nothin' to do with blues? The name says it all. You might try e-mail or Personal Message, but if those don't work for you, put it here, not in the blues forums above. Thanks!

Postby gcd revue » Wed May 31, 2006 8:06 am

For what it's worth, from someone who HAS been there: I spent much of the weekend helping out at the VA clinic...just as I do whenever I can. Whatever the politics behind whichever conflict(s) each of us served in, when the bullets start flying, the only people that count are the ones next to you. All vets have are other vets. If you've been there, you understand. If not, you can't.

Semper Fi,
J.D.
gcd revue
Regular

Postby lorilu » Wed May 31, 2006 4:19 pm

It seems like a continually bad place to be - a vet. They are either out on the streets, homeless, addicts, ptsd and the like. Does that tell you something? I am not sure why you are saying you guys are the only ones who can understand each other. Yes, this is true. Does that mean, isolate yourselves and see the public as uncaring & ungrateful and then continue to justify war. How many wars and how many lives destroyed for how long? Help me to understand what you are trying to say. I have a few Viet Nam Vet friends left, 2 more died this last year and only in their 50s. They died as a result of their alchohol and drug addictions from being in Viet Nam when they were just teenagers. Watching their friends get blown to pieces, killing little kids. Is it wrong of me for not wanting you or any other young person to go fight a war for a bunch of rich people so they can continue to build their fortune on your and other's blood?
lorilu
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Wed May 31, 2006 4:29 pm

Brought my little Weber Grill to the Muffin - and a bunch of chicken wings, and a load of murgaz - that's lamb sausage. MMmmmm.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed May 31, 2006 5:19 pm

allanlummox wrote:Brought my little Weber Grill to the Muffin - and a bunch of chicken wings, and a load of murgaz - that's lamb sausage. MMmmmm.
Those kinda get-togethers are priceless,Lummo. I wish I coulda been there,insteada workin' all day. My drummer buddy who owns a bar has day-long pigroast/jams on New Years,Memorial Day, 4th of July,and Labor Day,outside on his river front. Summa the best acoustic musicians from 50 miles around show up to play for that,under a tent outside. There's constant music from noon 'til the next morning. I get to most of 'em,but not on Memorial Day. Great comraderie,and you always meet players you don't know.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1dustyeod » Wed May 31, 2006 10:06 pm

Hey.... wait a minute LoriLu.... I resemble that remark.......!!!! (ha)(thats a joke there friend....) 16 years in, PTSD, agoraphobic, addicted to pain killers, smoke too much..... (yep.... I've got certified papers to prove it....) I could go on but I won't. Its a ruff job but somebodys got to do it.... I don't really regret one single day..... (comes with the territory) but sometimes it is hard to live with now. So... I'm reverting to my childhood and lovin' it....... for as long as I can. I dropped off another moonshine slide at the VA today for the boys that are infirm and playing the three acoustics I donated to the hospital (one was a new Rouge resonator... they love it....!!!!! and I'm overjoyed that they can have some simblance of happiness while they are there....)

Blues music does soothe a tormented soul.......

8)
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby gcd revue » Wed May 31, 2006 11:52 pm

Actually, Lorilu...

I spent 6 years as a Fleet Marine Forces Medical Corpsman, including two years with Recon. I don't think ANYONE abhors the thought of going to war more than those of us who have had to fight one. Particularly when it's instigated by politicians who have never heard a shot fired in anger, acting out John Wayne fantasies on behalf of their constituents, who haven't either. I volunteered to serve my country with the highest of ideals (unfashionable stuff, like duty, personal honor, responsibility, etc.). Unfortunately, most of my fellow citizens, and the people they keep electing, have no such ideals. It's all about bread, circuses, and "more for ME." When troops were first sent to Afghanistan, an acquaintance immediately responded with, "Yay! We're gonna go kick some ass!" I promptly asked him what branch he'd joined, and which unit he'd be shipping out with. No answer...he was too busy making money in real estate to be bothered with such things. A week later, his brother's reserve unit shipped out. The tune changed somewhat.

There's another side, though. The most expensive luxury a nation can have is a second-best military. Don't take my word for it...ask the Israelis...or better yet, ask the Kuwaitis. If you have something someone else wants, eventually someone will try to take it. This applies to individuals as well as nations. For better or worse, it's the way humanity's wired. I don't have to like it, but I am obligated to protect mine...both by force of arms, and at the polls. I simply wish more people would take these things into consideration when they vote...IF they vote. There will always be wars. I don't like this, either...it's simply a fact. Someone has to fight them. Be more selective than "I don't like the way he looks" when choosing who is going to make the decision as to what's necessary, and what's not. Government of/by/for the people requires the people to pay attention to more than the latest innuendo, scandal, or "reality" show.

As far as my comment about vets counting on other vets: go to a VA hospital sometime. Don't just look at the surface. Listen to some of the folks there. They may not be the most pleasant and polite folks you've ever met. They may have problems, physical, mental, emotional. This is part of the price they paid. In return, they're last in line for funding (gotta have welfare first) and first in line for budget cuts. They're not a significant enough voting block to carry any political weight. Most can't get treatment, and usually highly suspicious of what little IS offered by the same folks who put them in the situation to begin with. Many become self-medicating. Also, the largest portion of VA medical professionals are there simply because they CAN'T work elsewhere. Most veterinary clinics have higher standards...and wages. There are exceptions, but they seem to be just that. The only people we could count on in combat were the ones there with us. And the only ones who give a damn after were there, too. Hope that answers your questions, and I hope that's not too harsh. But reality is at LEAST as harsh.

Semper Fidelis,
J.D.
gcd revue
Regular

Postby gcd revue » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:00 am

Postscript: Ask me about fighting "on behalf of the rich" in Somalia sometime. If you're interested.

J.D.
gcd revue
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:48 am

Or for the Richest welfare Country in the world where the Prince gets a fresh virgin EVERY Thursday and has over 180 DOCUMENTED offspring and is the the Minister of Defense...... and is the biggest EAR (as in Moonraker)(a 15 story top looking listening device) on the planet for the CIA.....

I was working in a minefield..... 7:30 in the morning..... a week after arriving during the night, flying into what absolutely looked like a fiery hell on earth, starting to warm up a little so I took my jacket off and hung it on a warning sign posted at the outer barbed wire run...... turned to walk away and heard "zzztttt" past my head...... then saw my jacket lining burst from inside itself..... then heard the report of a sniper rifle from the far dune about 350 meters away...... My Mother gave me that jacket..... I still have it.... Bullet hole and all...... Thats enough of that story though....

The 1st job I had to do there was bury what was left of a friend of mine and two of his collegues, with a D-8 CAT...... Believe it or not I'm glad I had to start out that way. If I hadn't..... I wouldn't have taken the situation to heart quite as quickly.

It disgusts me that men of power send young, enthusiastic, naive, people blindly into harms way for questionable political purposes to force feed 3rd world nations 'democracy'.

My personal theory is that we should cut ALL foreign aid for a minimum of 5 years, stop ALL exports of military weaponry.... and talk to whoever is left standing in 5 years.... We export them all the military goods they can afford and then wonder why mass genocide takes place.... Amazing.

It not a good idea to talk to ex-military people about this kind of stuff... We tend to be pretty cynical about it.

And I'd rather play music........
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby gcd revue » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:41 am

"And I'd rather play music........" I'm with ya, bro...

Semper Fi,
J.D.
gcd revue
Regular

Postby grady » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:28 am

Well, I made it thru Mamorial Day Weekend and out of town gigs the past two nights.

Man, am I Tired !!!!

I think I'll just lay around and watch Baseball Tomorrow.
grady
Regular

Postby lorilu » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:28 pm

No, your cynicism is the reality check! And God Bless You. I know you went out of duty and ideals as many who go do! And like you said - I could not have said it better- for questionable political or business purposes. We're fighting with people who we have sold the weapons to? Beyond Insane! I so agree that a good military is crucial - no question. I have many Nam vet friends that I am very close with. I have been to the VA - in fact lived across the street from it at one point. I have heard and seen the horror stories of VA doctors and facilities. Very confusing. I do not think that many citizens realize the effects of war on the soldiers and the poor medical care they get when they return. Love to you and thank you and WELCOME HOME! Have you heard the System Of A Down song when they say "Why Do They Always Send The Poor?" It's NEVER them or their kids.
That is so cool that you go and play at the VA. I had 2 vets over for bbq. And our Laotian friend and her babies. Dang most of my friends are vets. Weird. Thank you again and I appreciate you and what you've been through. I try to call my vet friends on all the military holidays but I am sorry to say there are fewer this year.
lorilu
Regular

Postby 601blues » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:23 pm

Or for the Richest welfare Country in the world where the Prince gets a fresh virgin EVERY Thursday ---------------I wanna get in on dat I will even take fridays!!
601blues
Regular

Postby warren » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:08 pm

put me down for mondays.... :lol:

ww
warren
Regular

Postby gcd revue » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:15 pm

Nah, forget the virgins...have to teach 'em everything. I want a woman who already knows how. ;-)

Semper Fi,
J.D.
gcd revue
Regular

Postby lorilu » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:04 am

That's right! :wink:
lorilu
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Way off Topic