Damn It's Good To Be Alive

Nothin' to do with blues? The name says it all. You might try e-mail or Personal Message, but if those don't work for you, put it here, not in the blues forums above. Thanks!

Damn It's Good To Be Alive

Postby Bant's Bluz » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:52 pm

Tuesday, July 24, I had a coronary and carotid arteriogram as part of routine workup after having an abnormal EKG on my physical. I had no symptoms if a cardicac nature, but the next thing I knew I was being taken to St. Vincent's hospital in Jacksonville, Fl for open heart surgery and to have my left carotid artery roto toutered.

The surgeon told me after he'd cut my open in a number of places that he'd never seen anyone with the level of arterial blockages that had no symtoms and that I should have even been alive.

Am back home now, can't do much in terms of physical activity, but I can play my git. As I stated in the subject, it's good to be alive.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Re: Damn It's Good To Be Alive

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:37 pm

I wish you a full recovery Bro!
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:07 am

Really...best of luck...
i have a friend that went in for a stress test & ended up having a quad...
tinsmith
Regular

Postby jawbone60 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:52 am

Best wishes to you from Jacksonville ARKANSAS. i suppose you get to modify your diet now.
jawbone60
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:27 pm

jawbone60 wrote:Best wishes to you from Jacksonville ARKANSAS. i suppose you get to modify your diet now.

I have to modify my diet, quit smoking, you know, all the little things that make life enjoyable. Life style changes are preferable to the alternative.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby Neal » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:03 am

Glad you made it. Now cut out the simple carbs! If it's white flour or sugar, avoid. Heck, even potatoes and pasta.
Neal
Regular

Postby maxx england » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:27 am

Nice work, I had to have an attack before they line bored my arteries. Just remember to do the physio and one small, special, exercise. Breathe in, breathe out, repeat frequently.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:58 pm

Glad to hear everything went fine. My dad had open heart last year. He went in for a check up and they made him put the gown on and get into a hospital bed. They scheduled his surgery for two days later. He's much better now and has a new lease on life. I'm a bit scared for my future. Both my mom and dad's side of the family have a long history of heart problems, so I'm bound to get them. I'm still young, only 22, so hopefully I have enough time to stay healthy! :mrgreen:
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:26 pm

leftyguitarman wrote:Glad to hear everything went fine. My dad had open heart last year. He went in for a check up and they made him put the gown on and get into a hospital bed. They scheduled his surgery for two days later. He's much better now and has a new lease on life. I'm a bit scared for my future. Both my mom and dad's side of the family have a long history of heart problems, so I'm bound to get them. I'm still young, only 22, so hopefully I have enough time to stay healthy! :mrgreen:

Lefty, my life style basically sucked. I worked in a high stress environment where the three main food groups were nicotene, caffiene, and adrenalin. Off duty and on weekends we added in alcohol, and most times, lots of it. What I saying to to do things in moderation, but don't smoke and if you do, stop, even if you have to get professional help to do so.

On the other hand, one of my dearest friends lead a clean life, ate right, yada, yada. He dropped dead from a cerebral aneurysm at the ripe old age of 38. There's a book that says man know neither the time nor the hours.

As for me, my biggest challenge now is to figure out why I didn't die, because I sure as hell shouldn't have been alive.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:39 pm

Unfortunately, I do smoke, but not a lot. I haven't bought a pack in a week and a half and I've only had a handful of cigarettes over the past week or so. I'm trying to quit. I got really sick last week and have had this nasty chest congestion which made smoking hurt. I figured it was time to quit. I'm weaning myself off of them and I surprisingly haven't even had hardly any cravings.

It's crazy how life can get you. Like your friend. Thirty eight and healthy and bam. My grandpa smoked between a pack and two packs a day for 65 years and he's strong as an ox and unbelievably healthy for an 81 year old life long smoker. :roll:
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby jawbone60 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:26 pm

i was lucky to finally get to where i actually wanted to quit smoking. June 13 of '11 i tossed the last few of my last pack in the trash. i had welbutrin i was taking and started the patch system that day, and when the patch regimen was over- 6 weeks or 10 weeks- i stopped the welbutrin and patches and have not smoked since.
a lot went into the actual decision. i smoked for 35 years and had a slight hack most of the time summer or winter. of course the expense of 2 packs a day is ridiculous- my brand is well over $5 a pack now. just imagine tossing $70 a week down the tubes. there was also my wife's breathing issues, which she was born with. we drove from arkansas to ny state last year in a rented car and so i was stopping every couple of hours to puff up and stretch our legs. stayed in funky smoking motel rooms on the way up and back. paid $10.37 for a pack of smokes in ny state! these things all added up and it just became time. one of the biggest blessings- and i'm not hugely religious- is that Jolene tells me she can breathe easy in her own home for probably the first time in years. THAT is a real gift.

Bant, i did not get to the stage you found yourself at- yet. if i'm not careful i imagine my dues will catch up to me as well.

what i wanted to say was, life is great these days, not that it wasn't before, but it's just even better now.
Last edited by jawbone60 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jawbone60
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:30 pm

I had attempted to quit smoking before. I used Welbutrin, Chantix, etc., you know all the ones that warn about suicidal thoughts! My problem was I didn't want to kill myself, I wanted to kill everyone else. I've got a follow up appointment tomorrow with the chest cutter and I anticipate I'm going to be released and move on to the next phase of rehab. I've already been doing yard work, etc, but I've still got a 5 lb lifting restriction, I think that's a tad over 2 kilos so depending on that I'll have a better idea as to what my activity level will be. I know they are going to want me to walk, but I've got a chronic inflammatory condition in my sacroiliac joints that makes that a real bitch.

I think I said this before, but I never thought I'd live to be this age (63). The fact is I should have been killed many times over years ago. Oh yea, another neat thing happened, I got some kind of allergy and started sneezing. When your sternum has been split completely in to and you sneeze, well it's enough to make a Preacher cuss.

I keep wondering how 601 is doing! I sent him an email a few weeks back, but never got a response. Guess I'll have to give the bloke a call.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Return to Way off Topic