House hunting...

Nothin' to do with blues? The name says it all. You might try e-mail or Personal Message, but if those don't work for you, put it here, not in the blues forums above. Thanks!

House hunting...

Postby allanlummox » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:49 pm

Boy do I find it stressful. And it looks like we're making the move from renters to owners - STRANGE, I've pretty much always lived like I was "just visiting".

We're looking at some nice little houses, the ones I find particularly appealing have little shop spaces tucked behind the garage - little outbuildings with concrete floors and cobwebs. Just wondering if any of you cats have experience with these sort of spaces and, well, putting a music studio into them - guitars, amps, computers and all the rest of the gear that goes with a small studio in the twenty first century, not to forget my little isolation booth. Am I just begging the Oregon damp to have at my gear if I put it into a space that's basically just a roof and walls?

As ever, opinions and suggestions are invited.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Re: House hunting...

Postby maxx england » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:20 pm

You could always put in a little greenhouse electric heater just to keep enough heat in to keep the damp at bay.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:49 pm

There's a possibility - I'd probably want an electric heater for winter anyway.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Les R Forgue » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:50 pm

I don't know, but I have heard it said that dryness is actually more of a threat to wooden instruments than is humidity.

One thing I would be concerned about is security against break in and theft.
Make sure the walls and roof are not such as can be broken through too easily -
Probably we have all seen situations where there is a super-secure lock on the door of a structure that could almost be broken into though the walls using one's bare hands.

I guess in Portland you all do not get a lot of ice and snow? Just asking cuz I have seen driveways in Portland that had what looked to be 60 degree angles.

well try to blow off the stress and have fun with your home search.
May God bless you and yours in your new home.
Les R Forgue
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:03 am

Well, no late nights makin' loud noises, or you'll have a neighbor angry at you.

Yea, you'll have to make your studio as warm, dry and comfortable as the house, 24/7, because overnight cooling, followed by heating when you go in there will cause moisture condensation on and inside all your stuff.

Buy a book about outbuildings at a place like Lowe's, Home Depot or Menards.
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:56 pm

"Well, no late nights makin' loud noises"

Well - the isolation booth helps with that.

We may just be looking for a house with an extra inside room for the studio, as opposed to a shed.

Yea, Les, the winters here are damp but not all that cold.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby leftyguitarman » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:05 am

Hey Dan, I live just north of Seattle, so weather-wise we're in the same climate, more or less. I have a detached garage at my house. It is not insulated but has a fireplace and a heater. In the winter time I have left my guitars and amps set up out there, but I found the strings starting to corrode after a few days and that made me take it all back inside. The thing about uninsulated buildings is that they're super hot in the summer and really cold in the winter. It's probably 90 degrees in my garage right now and it was only in the mid 70's here today. I would, at minimum, put insulation in and a small heater or fire place.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:31 pm

Still looking - and I'm thinking we're looking for an additional room IN the house, even though the outbuildings are so COOL.

We had a studio set up in my garage in Albany, California for a few months - then El Nino rains came along and made a joke out of the garage roof. I was running back and forth putting gear in trash bags and spreading tarps around that night!
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:23 pm

House hunting adventure wrapped up right before my hospital stay. I came home to a 1918 American Craftsman bungalow - my audio booth is set up in the second bedroom, now a small studio.

Nice neighborhood - a few doors down is a contractor who came over during my recovery to change locks and that sort of move in stuff. He brought fish - Steelhead fillets fresh off the Willamette. Been out on the boat myself recently and the main plan now is to start gigging again in between fishing. Things are looking pretty good.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Thu May 02, 2013 3:02 pm

Planning on putting guitar hangers on the living room wall - Jane's idea, amazingly. Any particular suggestions or tips? We're thinking about mounting the metal fork type hangers from either a wood board that more or less matches the roof beam, or an interesting piece of "distressed" wood yet to be found.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Thu May 02, 2013 3:04 pm

AND...Image My first salmon, caught on the Willamette on a prawn. best tasting fish EVER.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jawbone60 » Sun May 05, 2013 12:04 pm

Enviable man! I am aside from a bluesaholic, a serious fishaholic as well. Looks like you made a very nice score.

As for the hangers, I mounted a few right through the plaster into wall studs here and they are solid as a rock. A piece of wood does seem like a good idea though.

Jolene is trying to keep it to 3 guitars, a vintage Regal Parlor for slide, a vintage Trutone archtop for swing and so forth, and her newest addition is a Nashville Tele, to round out her palette of sounds. The Regal has a stick-on piezo, the Trutone has a very old cheese grater humbucker, and the Tele has the standard 3 I think. she got a deal on it through fleabay and it's in for a setup now. Initial inspection by our tech guy comes back with very good marks.

I am hoping, in a few years, once I'm retired and we get a travel trailer or road home, to get up to salmon country. I never knew it but only 3 hours or less from where I grew up in NY state, there was salmon water in rivers feeding Lake Ontario.
Arkansas has a lot of fishing choices but salmon is not one of them! Best we can do here is grocery store.

Last year we did get a boat together, a 10 foot bass raider type Pelican unsinkable. 30 lb thrust troller motor and paddles suit us where we fish, on mostly small waters close by. We've had a lot of fun so far. this spring I sold the F150 and bought a trailer kit from Harbor Freight for very cheep. After a mod or two, and some creative work with pallet wood, I have a 4x8 wood floored and side railed trailer that fits the boat like it was made for it! Rides behind the midsize suv just fine.

We may run into each other in the PNW in a few year allan!
jawbone60
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Mon May 06, 2013 8:20 pm

Jawbone, I'd done a little trout fishing back east but the opportunity to fish for these big western fish thrills me to death. My neighbor may be making a convert!

This coming weekend, we'll be hitting some Architectural Salvage places looking for a piece of distressed wood that would look good with guitars mounted on it.

Hope to see you on the river!
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby texas blues » Thu May 09, 2013 8:03 pm

Guitars and fishing go together like tequila and lime.

Catchem' up Lummo.
texas blues
Regular

Postby jawbone60 » Mon May 13, 2013 5:34 am

We've mostly been going after whatever is in the local favorite small lakes here. Although the Arkansas River boasts some bit cats and stripers, hybrids and largemouth, not to mention drum and buffalo, our little Bass Raider boat is a slackwater model, not made for current at all.
We've gotten into a lot of big bream, bigger bass, and really good size catfish here this season. Boat makes a HUGE difference but we did hold our own well before we got this last fall.

I grew up back east, western NY state. Smallmouth were much more common than largemouth. Also some nice rehabbed trout habitat on local creeks at least part of the year. Rainbows in the finger Lakes. and Pike. Walleye in bigger rivers near town.

What I'm hoping for is to get an rv with room for the boat after I retire in a few years. Or a pull behind and a dually or at least 3/4 ton truck, which would fit the boat in the bed.

Never have yet fished for salmon although they are native to Lake Ontario which is northern NY state. Absolutely NO salmon here unless you got to the supermarket or Red Lobster!
jawbone60
Regular

Next

Return to Way off Topic