When to sit in? Older & Wiser.

Nothin' to do with blues? The name says it all. You might try e-mail or Personal Message, but if those don't work for you, put it here, not in the blues forums above. Thanks!

When to sit in? Older & Wiser.

Postby jeffl » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:59 pm

My wife & I went clubbin' in a town just a little out of our normal range, 'cuz I wanted to hear a couple bands where I had played with at least one guy in the band but had never heard that band.

So, twice I got asked up to play and politely declined 'cuz I was on a date with my wife & she didn't know anybody else in the club. It's called "weighing the pros & cons", :) . I've learned that lesson the hard way a few times over the years. I'll wait until she's not with me some time to sit in with those guys, even if it's a year or three down the road.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: When to sit in? Older & Wiser.

Postby Stackabones » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:00 pm

I've never really had that problem, for whomever I've ever been with has understood that I'm a musician and it's part of what I do -- getting invited to sit in, especially at other bands' gigs. If I knew my date felt uncomfortable with this, I just wouldn't take her to shows where there's a chance of me being invited. But, seriously, I've never been around someone who didn't dig it when it happened. Still, ya gotta do what ya gotta do, right?

It's probably different for folks who don't do it for a living?
Stackabones
Regular

Re: When to sit in? Older & Wiser.

Postby jeffl » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:15 pm

Stackabones wrote:I've never really had that problem, for whomever I've ever been with has understood that I'm a musician and it's part of what I do -- getting invited to sit in, especially at other bands' gigs. If I knew my date felt uncomfortable with this, I just wouldn't take her to shows where there's a chance of me being invited. But, seriously, I've never been around someone who didn't dig it when it happened. Still, ya gotta do what ya gotta do, right?

It's probably different for folks who don't do it for a living?

Nah, it ain't that. It's that I hardly ever take her anywhere that I don't know at least one of the guys playing, so I'll get asked up probably every time, and she just doesn't like to get left alone all the time.
I play more than alotta guys who gig part-time, 'cuz my bunch gets together every week, unlike some gigging bands that never rehearse and may only do 10-15 gigs/yr. If my wife knows I'm gonna play alot, she'll just stay home unless she knows people who will be there listening.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Way off Topic