Them's Fightin' words

Nothin' to do with blues? The name says it all. You might try e-mail or Personal Message, but if those don't work for you, put it here, not in the blues forums above. Thanks!

Them's Fightin' words

Postby jeffl » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:00 pm

Last night we had a birthday party at our weekly jam, so we invited some guests to party with us. One of our guys had his male cousin from Oregon with him. When the night was over the gentleman came up to me and said,"That was ferocious harpin'". I thanked him for the compliment, and then my poor feeble mind wondered if he was gay. I'd never heard that term to describe aggressive harp playin'.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Them's Fightin' words

Postby maxx england » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:58 pm

More likely you were giving it some good hard drive and he wouldn't want to follow you on stage. And language changes daily and, perhaps where he is, "ferocious" is in fashion like "awesome". Or was it his pink handbag and makeup that caused you some suspicion?
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:38 pm

maxx england wrote:More likely you were giving it some good hard drive and he wouldn't want to follow you on stage. And language changes daily and, perhaps where he is, "ferocious" is in fashion like "awesome". Or was it his pink handbag and makeup that caused you some suspicion?

Nah Maxx, it was just one of those weird little moments; kinda like when you were young and a girl made some seemingly innocuous little statement and afterwards you wondered if she was comin' on to ya'. You know.... (and,yeah, I was overplayin' some last night at times, but I think there's times when that's called for)
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby NEONMOONY » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:38 pm

or maybe he was.....not that there's anything wrong with that.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:00 am

Once after seeing a local band playing in Bangkok, I tried to get various tavern intermediaries to help me ask the guitar player what kind of pick up he was using on a weird little local acoustic instrument he was playing.

What kind of pick up

in Bangkok.

By the time the guitarist in question and I were talking face to face, the pre-existing misunderstanding was - way gayer than that.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:53 am

NEONMOONY wrote:or maybe he was.....not that there's anything wrong with that.
Well as a heterosexual male, it'd be pretty depressing for me if the first time I get hit on in 15 years is by a gay guy. Nothin' other than that.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:14 am

Another thing I've found over recent years is that sometimes you hit hit the spot, and people come up to you after like you're The Man. I actually had 3 kids line up to shake my hand once, and I'm just me, you know, but I must have done something that was unusual enough in itself to impress them. Very odd sensation. Maybe it was that. Alternatively, you could well have made a "close personal friend".

Tell you what, next time you see him, jump up and down waving a pair of lace panties in the air, let us know how you get on. :mrgreen:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:10 am

allanlummox wrote:Once after seeing a local band playing in Bangkok, I tried to get various tavern intermediaries to help me ask the guitar player what kind of pick up he was using on a weird little local acoustic instrument he was playing.

What kind of pick up

in Bangkok.

By the time the guitarist in question and I were talking face to face, the pre-existing misunderstanding was - way gayer than that.

We will do you no harm. Other than pee in your afro 8)
Bubba, you're a nice guy and I was a little surprised by this thread. People are who they are, you either get on with them or don't. It doesn't matter about anyone's beliefs or practices as long as nobody is being harmed or oppressed by them.
stumblin
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:08 am

"We will do you no harm"? Didn't know you were a "we". Not that there's any reason I should have done.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:07 pm

I don't think I put any kind of slant on the remark Stumblin' ( and thanks for the compliment by the way ). If we are going to change our attitudes about homosexuality we have to be able to make the same kinds of comments about gay people that we do about straights. There have been many posts here about heterosexual contacts in bars.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:33 pm

BTW moderator, if this post is deemed offensive to anybody, I'll volunteer it for removal if I can. It's not going to develop any meaningful content, imo.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:26 pm

If it's any help at all, a few years ago at Swanage, I got chatted up by a bloke. Once I got over the initial surprise, it has to be said I felt rather flattered. At least one human being out there thinks I might have something going for me. All I have to do now is find the trigger that gets women to come on to me.

But I can't afford a 6 litre Mercedes.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:52 pm

I was sittin' in with some of my music buddies at a small town bar, just startin' to set up my gear and this good lookin' drunk girl comes up to me and sticks her tongue out to show me her stud. She says "You know what I can do with this...?" I'm thinkin' "Great, how do I escape?" She spends the whole evening bending my ear on the breaks, tellin' me how she hates the blues, but she doesn't leave. A couple of weeks later I'm sittin' in with another bunch of buddies about 10 miles down the highway, and she's there again, drunk, tellin' me how she hates the blues. She didn't recognize me from the earlier encounter. I must look like somebody that'll listen to ya'. I couldn't help but wonder why she likes country music but gets drunk at places where blues bands are playin'.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:55 pm

There are many women in the world who don't seem to feel they exist unless they're bitching about something to somebody. Personal observation.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:45 pm

maxx england wrote:There are many women in the world who don't seem to feel they exist unless they're bitching about something to somebody. Personal observation.
It probablly doesn't happen as much in matriarchal cultures, lol!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Way off Topic