Lost my lifelong jammin' buddy

Nothin' to do with blues? The name says it all. You might try e-mail or Personal Message, but if those don't work for you, put it here, not in the blues forums above. Thanks!

Lost my lifelong jammin' buddy

Postby jeffl » Tue May 31, 2011 11:18 pm

My best friend/lifelong music collaborator/spiritual brother passed away this past Sunday. I grew up with the guy and started playin' the blues with him back in the mid 60's. We learned to play the blues together, with his gut-stringed Mexican 6-string & me fumblin' around on harps. We wore out a Rev.Gary Davis songbook together in a couple years back in the day.
A few of you guys know what this experience is like. There's a whole ton of tunes I'll never play again.. certainly not the way WE played 'em.
I'm really thankful for those times though...rehearsin' & jammin' until the wee hours of the morning, and catching those magic moments that can only happen when you play with somebody for 30-40 years.

Hopefully I'll be able to get his kids to give me the sheet music for some of the tunes he wrote for us, but if not, I got 'em in my heart.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Lost my lifelong jammin' buddy

Postby stumblin » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:53 am

Sorry to hear of your loss, Bubba.
It sucks when friends disappear like that. I know.
stumblin
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:13 pm

Thanks Andy.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:24 pm

That's a long time to play with someone and just be with. If you ever want to just come on here and ramble on about things you did, go ahead. Sometimes you need to talk about the past and not there might not be anybody right there to listen where you are.

Take care, remember the good stuff.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby s1120 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:22 pm

That sucks man. Im very sorry.
s1120
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:13 pm

I'm gonna sing "Precious Lord" (the Dorsey version) at his memorial service. We used to blues that tune up a little & it was one of his favorites. I just gotta make sure I can get through it in a professional manner. I've sung at plenty of weddings, but I can't remember the last time I sang at a funeral. My current band has played at a few funerals & memorials, but that's a little different, imo.

They held a memorial jam for him at a bar in Minneapolis on their Monday night blues jam nite. I couldn't go, but I guess it was great. A buncha guys testified about the things Brian had done for them. One of the reasons Brian went there every Monday night was to collect on the money people owed him, :lol: . He'd give money to people when he knew he wasn't gonna get it back. His dad taught him that.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby DaveG » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:40 pm

Sorry to hear that.
DaveG
Regular

Postby Les Again » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:20 pm

jeffl wrote:I'm gonna sing "Precious Lord" (the Dorsey version) at his memorial service. ........ I just gotta make sure I can get through it in a professional manner. .....

Sorry about your loss of Brian, Bubba; you and his other loved ones are in my prayers;
Isn't it something how that song is so popular for funerals, when, if we listen to the lyrics, it is clearly a song for daily life, not for death; But the kind of loss you describe is is of course a prime example of a time we need our hand in the Lord's.
If I were you I would not stress out about making it through the song without a choke or quiver, about 'professional manner', after all your connection to Brian was not merely professional, you have lost a big part of yourself (though I figure he'll always remain a part of you). I don't think a crack in your voice would subtract anything from the intended honor to your friend or either from the intended consolation of those present.

Hang in there bro,
Les Again
Regular

Postby BobHolland » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:09 pm

It's a sad time. I went through just about the same situation 2 years ago. A good friend & music partner is a lost that I still haven't totally gotten over. Just keep playing music because that is what he would want you to do. Good luck & remember him every time you play music. I feel my friend is alway with me especially when I'm on a gig playing music.
BobHolland
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:28 pm

Thanks again fellas. I'll actually miss him more as a spiritual brother than a fellow musician. We had ceased to play regularly with each other a coupla years ago, but he was my closest spiritual confidant other than my wife.
Maybe I'll make some new friends at church or something... sometimes a vacuum creates good changes. Life is full of opportunities. (Bob: I remember when you lost your music partner; that seems like yesterday to me.)
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby cas » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:27 pm

Hey Bubba, sorry to hear about your buddy. It always hurts so much to lose someone you've known for so long and been so close to. Make the most of the memories.

Carol
cas
Regular

Return to Way off Topic