New Orleans…Will it flood again?

Nothin' to do with blues? The name says it all. You might try e-mail or Personal Message, but if those don't work for you, put it here, not in the blues forums above. Thanks!

New Orleans…Will it flood again?

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Tue May 10, 2011 11:12 pm

Things are very bad along the Mississippi.
Looks like the river will crest in Baton Rouge on May 22nd.
Do you think New Orleans will flood again? :wha:
Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Re: New Orleans…Will it flood again?

Postby texas blues » Wed May 11, 2011 2:02 am

Yes. I think it will flood again. And I think it will ALWAYS flood again. I have empathy for the folks from Minnesota to Memphis to New Orleans but I have to say...move away out of the flood zone y'all. Ain't nuthin' but pain and sorrow comes of it sooner or later. Lord have mercy on them folk for they are my brothers and sisters.
texas blues
Regular

Postby maxx england » Wed May 11, 2011 8:58 am

I have a question. Why aren't new build properties set on their own island blocks? Above the flood level. I've seen old riverside housed here where the front door is well above ground level. Not rocket science, is it? Or am I missing something?
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Wed May 11, 2011 10:54 am

maxx england wrote:I have a question. Why aren't new build properties set on their own island blocks? Above the flood level. I've seen old riverside housed here where the front door is well above ground level. Not rocket science, is it? Or am I missing something?
Really, they been putting the houses up on higher and higher foundations after every flood, but the landscape keeps sinking under them. Plus this years flood is being called the worst in 75 years.
People always underestimate danger, and look to build on the cheap.
That's people!
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Fri May 13, 2011 4:55 am

Your still building on mud--they sink after awhile--thats why they have above ground burials
goldbrick
Regular

Postby bluesmcgoo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:14 pm

I'm from New Orleans and still have family there.

The thing that keeps people there is that it's such a unique place with a definitely unique culture all it's own. Once you get ingrained in that culture, it's not an easy thing to leave...ESPECIALLY if you're older, and without means. The people there love good food, good music, good people, and good times. I'm tempted to add, good beer, but Dixie Beer's not all that great. :) And they love it all with a gusto I have yet to find elsewhere. The point is, there's a real feeling of living for the moment there. If you've been there, maybe you can see what I'm saying.

But really, it's not like it floods every time it rains. Katrina was not a usual event. One in a million. It hadn't flooded like that in many many years. There's no memory of a flood like that for generations. People become complacent. After all, every where you go, down there, you're surrounded by feats of engineering on a sometimes monumental scale. All just to keep people low and dry. There are levees, pump stations, flood gates, flood ways, flood walls, diversion channels, you name it.

So, it's easy to say, "it can't happen here." and go on with life, year after year after year. In a city you love.

It's easy for me to see that it will happen again sometime, maybe not so much for those still living there.

McGoo
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jsmorrison55 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:54 am

every where it seems flood is reaching, whether you raise your house up. i mean, look at Chicago, they were hit by a typhoon las month i think, and it flooded the whole thing. its just a matter of getting prepared, with safety gears and the proper people to run help to. keeping the environment clean and waste should be properly disposed of. with proper preparations, if the flood hits again, this time we're prepared.
jsmorrison55
Regular

Postby The Saint » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:41 pm

Yeah Ya Right Bluesmcgoo!!
Floods hit a lot of areas of the country at different times. Hard rain, snow melts and even water main breaks can cause specific areas to flood. Hell a half inch of rain in South Texas can cause a flash flood in places. In South Louisiana, people are on the water most of their lives. They live, work and play on water. Their houses are built on pilings and last years and years without incident at times. Other times forces of nature overcome the integerity of the work. When you walk down the River Rd and look up and see an ocean going cargo ship moving up or down the river, you understand that levees can be built to contain the flow of the water draining from most of the country, but you will never be able to protect the homes in that area from all possible natural and man made incidents. If that ship losses control, it could slice through the levee in seconds. That or another hurricane before the people demand that the barrier islands are restored and the Coastline reclaimed. Those of you who are familiar with Tab Benoit should check his Wetlands work.
It's a familar reality.
The Saint
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:01 am

Not sure, but I can't remember any Blues songs about a flood? :roll:
Seems like surviving a flood would have inspired many good songs. It worked for the Bible.
In fact the only flood song I can remember is one done by Johnny Cash. Not one of his best.
Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby dcblues » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:09 pm

Buffalo_Bill wrote:Not sure, but I can't remember any Blues songs about a flood? :roll:
Seems like surviving a flood would have inspired many good songs. It worked for the Bible.
In fact the only flood song I can remember is one done by Johnny Cash. Not one of his best.
Bill

Charley Patton, High Water Everywhere
Lonnie Johnson, Broken Levee Blues
Memphis Minnnie & Kansas City Joe McCoy, When the Levee Breaks
Barbecue Bob, Mississippi Heavy Water Blues
Bessie Smith, Backwater Blues
John Lee Hooker, Tupelo
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluesmcgoo » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:06 am

Then there's Randy Newman's "Louisiana (1927)" from his great early 70's album "Good Old Boys".

I love that song...and that album.
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby thunda1216 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:10 am

Buffalo_Bill wrote:Not sure, but I can't remember any Blues songs about a flood? :roll:
Bill

Led Zeppelin, "When The Levee Breaks"
thunda1216
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:06 pm

Listen to this

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4860785
My two favorites are the Memphis Minnie -Levee Breaks and SRV's Texas Flood
goldbrick
Regular

Return to Way off Topic