How did this book go out of print?

Nothin' to do with blues? The name says it all. You might try e-mail or Personal Message, but if those don't work for you, put it here, not in the blues forums above. Thanks!

How did this book go out of print?

Postby allanlummox » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:30 pm

Just found a book I've been looking for for years - a paperback copy of "John the Balladeer", by Manly Wade Wellman. I read this collection of short stories when I was a kid. These are simple, Pulp horror stories about a hero who totes a silver stringed guitar through the Smoky Mountains encountering supernatural villains. The sense of place resonates, and anyone who has traveled the American South will recognize the cool, deep mountain hollers and high green balds that make up John's world.

The stories are warm and stylish, and I think that any fan of American musical traditions would enjoy the way Appalachian folkways and song are used in the tales. I look over at my bookshelf, and I'd say that if you owned a copy of Alan Lomax's "Folk Songs of North America " and ANY genre fiction, this stuff is for you. They do harken back to a rural America which has faded and changed - there are no Oxycontin dealers or meth Labs here, just corn liquor and - well, Zombies and Demons and things that go bump in the night.

The same weirdness that inflates the Harry Smith Anthology of Folk Music runs through every page of these stories. I'm surprised Greil Marcus doesn't quote it in his book "Invisible Republic".

There was a film made, back in the 70's - but it failed to do justice to this material. Of course getting it right would be like crossing "Oh Brother" and "Lord of the Rings".

Highly recommended, if you can find a copy! Wondering if anyone here has encountered these stories?
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Re: How did this book go out of print?

Postby Joe Sustaire » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:29 pm

Sounds great Dan!
I'd like to find a copy.
And the author's name, Manly Wade Wellman. What a great super-hero name.

Joe
Joe Sustaire
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:10 am

It's times like this I curse living around the corner from a well-stocked second hand bookshop...

Back in five!
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jellyroll baker » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:24 am

Damn. Bookshop didn't have anything but they did give me a few good leads.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby devonniedukes » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:29 am

I remember this one on my uncle…well he really a fan of that one and it’s bugging me at first but got used to it anyways..haha
devonniedukes
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:33 pm

It is available in a slightly different group of stories as Who Fears the Devil - Amazon stocks it
goldbrick
Regular

Return to Way off Topic