Help! Help! Aussie beer info! Help! Help!

Nothin' to do with blues? The name says it all. You might try e-mail or Personal Message, but if those don't work for you, put it here, not in the blues forums above. Thanks!

Help! Help! Aussie beer info! Help! Help!

Postby maxx england » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:05 am

Neil Roberts (vicar locally & generally OK apart from visible Christianity) is going to Oz soon, and is a Real Ale devotee. Is there anything in Oz approximating to an old fashioned English beer? Something of the nature of bitter is appreciated.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Help! Help! Aussie beer info! Help! Help!

Postby beard-of-grey » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:03 am

Never having had an English beer, I can't help ,sorry
Though judging by the popularity of Fosters in the old dart and the thought of room temperature beer your friend may be sadly disappointed.

Here's a boutique brew from my area of MANLY
a 30 minute ferry trip from Sydney
ESB | 5.6% ABV 40 IBU
Coppery amber in colour showing
floral hints preceding earthy and
malt notes. Full bodied fruit flavours
sliding into coffee and caramel with
a finishing firm bitterness.
That's EXTRA SPECIAL BITTER with a IBU of 40
That's International Bitterness Units of course.
http://www.4pinesbeer.com.au/ Image

One of the many beer sites http://www.beerguide.com.au/top-rated-beers/
has Tooheys Old well down the list but is the first mass produced product, it is a porter style (light Stout) well worth getting acquainted with.
beard-of-grey
Regular

Postby Slacker G » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:18 pm

maxx england wrote:Neil Roberts (vicar locally & generally OK apart from visible Christianity)
:wha:

I'm not sure why it would bother you when someone lives their life by standing up for what they believe. Is that only the right of agnostics? A good musician is a good musician. The greater number of them are not Christian. Or at the least, not living the Christian life. To me, they have the right to a personal choice of lifestyle, just as I have. If he is a good musician, more power to him.
Now if I got a sermon where the guitar ride was supposed to be in the song, that might irritate me. :?
Slacker G
Regular

Postby MakaInOz » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:17 am

Maxx,

There's not much 'mainstream' in Oz that is even close to a Pommie real ale (I used to live in the wilds of Lincolnshire and my best mate was a CAMRA member). You can't even buy Fosters Lager here (we only sell that crap to foreigners).

I'd suggest the boutique breweries, or if all else fails, Tooheys Old isn't a bad drop. I often drink Killkenny, which is Irish (lots of Irish bars in Oz) and drunk cold, but its probably the closest your mate will find to something he recognises.

BTW, cold beer is good when room temperature is 43C (Melbourne today), 42C (Adelaide), 38C (Canberra) or even 36C (Hobart).
MakaInOz
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:46 pm

Gettin' kinda heavy there Slacker. Personally, I took Maxx's comment as a light hearted joke.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby Slacker G » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:04 pm

NEONMOONY wrote:Gettin' kinda heavy there Slacker. Personally, I took Maxx's comment as a light hearted joke.

Sorry to offend you.

I wouldn't have mentioned it at all if Neil Roberts were here. Perhaps I am aware of something you are not.

The first step in persecution of any race or religion is to joke about them. That is how it is since the beginning of time. Worked great for Hitler. It always starts out light and progresses.

I am not saying that was his intention, just pointing out something often overlooked.

I will say no more on the matter as I do not wish to hijack this thread. You know, it was just one of those moments where you do not wish to become involved, but something says go ahead and post because you don't have enough grief in your life. :)

Personally, I love political incorrectness.
Slacker G
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:50 am

I wasn't offended, merely commenting that I thought Maxx was being light-hearted. To associate his joke to Hitler is a hell of a leap. On this forum there will be plenty of jokes and puns. Look what they're doing to the poor drummers.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:46 am

Most Aussie beers (much as I love 'em) as pretty bland, boring and samey. I think your pal will be better off trying some of the micro-vrewery boutique beers. Where abouts is he heading? If he's going to be in Victoria he should be able to pick up Red Hill Brewey beers pretty easily - they make a great English Ale.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Slacker G » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:08 pm

NEONMOONY wrote:I wasn't offended, merely commenting that I thought Maxx was being light-hearted. To associate his joke to Hitler is a hell of a leap. On this forum there will be plenty of jokes and puns. Look what they're doing to the poor drummers.

I was going to leave all this behind but you have brought about some good points in your post.

It was a light hearted joke. Ok.
Call me stupid or ignorant. But as someone who just fell off the turnip truck, would you explain the joke to me?
Every joke has a subject and every joke has a punch line.
What is the subject of the joke, Neil or his Christian beliefs? And what is the punch line? Neil or his Christian beliefs?

To use Hitler or the Nazi party as an example is absolutely not a stretch at all. Rather it is a well documented portion of history that could very well be used as an example. Now please understand. I did not refer to Max as being a Nazi nor did I compare him to Hitler. Just clarifying what some jokes are in nature. I was pointing to the escalation of such jokes as follows in documented history. And I am not in the least implying that Max set out with malicious intent. Let me draw it out for you starting with the light hearted jokes about Jews.

The politicians of Nazi Germany started by making "light hearted jokes" about the Jews. Then the newspapers started making jokes about the Jews in comic pictorials. Next the news reels in the movies started making "humorous" cartoons of the Jews, and casting them as ignorant fools and the but of all jokes. Then it escalated to their character, Then to slanderous accusations of the race, then to the need to rid Germany of them to protect the German race. It took very little time before it became commendable, even patriotic for the masses to ridicule the Jews and treat Jews with contempt.
And perhaps I am being a bit sensitive. But only because I already see some of the same patterns beginning here by our beloved politicians and government sponsored media. Don't think so? Time will judge me right or wrong.

It is difficult for me to look at drummer jokes, or blond jokes, or plumber jokes or farmers daughter jokes in the same light as highlighting some ones belief or character as humorous. There is a point where jokes leave the realm of humor and become personal attacks. I don't believe some ones beliefs should be the but of jokes.
Drummer jokes are hardly inflammatory, in fact, when I spoke with my drummer last night I read the jokes to him. He had me slow down so he could write them down to tell the bass man and keyboard player. He loved the one about the fire extinguisher and radiator.

OK Ya got me. I lied. :twisted: I said I was done with this matter. Now I am. :mrgreen: Even if it half kills me, I will not post or hijack this thread again.

Again, I don't mean to anger anyone. I just think it is pushing the envelope. But then, it's an opinion, we all have them, flame away.
Slacker G
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:38 pm

I'm not going to get involved in long discussions about this. I will explain: I come from a culture of robust pisstaking. Nobody means anything by it and nobody with any understanding of that culture gets upset by it. They just hand it back gold plated and with big knobs on it.

Stop worrying so much. The people that scare me are the PC brigade, joyless muff divers the lot of them.

Tata
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bournio » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:01 am

maxx england wrote: I come from a culture of robust pisstaking. Nobody means anything by it and nobody with any understanding of that culture gets upset by it. They just hand it back gold plated and with big knobs on it.

Brits take the piss? really? Never noticed that before you bloody brummie!

maxx england wrote:Stop worrying so much. The people that scare me are the PC brigade, joyless muff divers the lot of them.

Oh yes...
Bournio
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:42 am

It's sad to think about being a joyless muff diver.
ricochet
Regular

Postby MakaInOz » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:43 am

Slacker,

You got a drummer that can WRITE?
MakaInOz
Regular

Postby Bournio » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:13 pm

ricochet wrote:It's sad to think about being a joyless muff diver.

True... you'd think muff diving would be a joyful act...
Bournio
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:55 pm

Sadly, that also put me to thinking about the conjugation of the word "dive." Really ought to be like "drive," with past tense "drove," and past participle "have driven." "I dive." "I dove." "I have diven." "Dived" seems so contrived.

But accepting that, how does it properly go together with "muff?" Should one say, "I have dived muff," or "I have muff dived?"

Inquiring minds want to know.

Watch out for muff morays.
ricochet
Regular

Next

Return to Way off Topic