Going for a big hike

Nothin' to do with blues? The name says it all. You might try e-mail or Personal Message, but if those don't work for you, put it here, not in the blues forums above. Thanks!

Going for a big hike

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:56 am

The temperatures have finally cooled down a bit here in the desert, so my buddy and I planned a two day hike into the middle of the desert to do some exploration. We are very familiar with the area, so getting lost is not a problem. However, since we are going to be hiking for at least 12 hours each day, I want to make sure I am properly prepared. I compiled a list of good food to bring and supplies. After reading through my list, is there anything you guys would recommend just in case something bad goes wrong?

The list is as follows:
    Guns/ammo
    Sleeping bag
    Tent
    Lots of water
    Knife
    Camp shovel
    Toilet paper
    Medical supplies (alcohol, bandages, gauze, etc.)
    Rain poncho (just in case)
    Strike anywhere matches (which will be kept in a water tight container that also serves as a whistle, mirror, and compass)
    Zippo (with cigarettes of course)
    Can opener
    Eating utensil
    Emergency blanket
    Flask with some liquor to warm us up (we're expecting at maximum, 40 degrees + wind chill)
    Cotton balls with vaseline (to start a fire if necessary)
    Ibuprofen/Tylenol
    Ziploc bags
    Flashlight

Is there anything else you guys would recommend? I ask because I know several of you guys are outdoorsmen.

And just for fun, here's the little gun I'm bringing with me. Pictured next to my lovely Lester.

leftyguitarman
Regular

Re: Going for a big hike

Postby Bournio » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:47 am

Liquor doesn't warm you up!! Take Coffee/tea making stuff!
Bournio
Regular

Postby farmslave » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:38 pm

How about some food!!!
I used to live in Arizona in my younger days. In Patagonia you know the little mountain town 12 miles north of Nogales Az.
Used to hike alot. But never had that much with me, didn't need it. If you were by some water I'd bring a fishing pole. And a good idea is to ratle your car keys once in a while to let the Mountain Lions know you are there. I saw a mountian lion lurking one night just after sunset. More curious about me . Didn't panick didn't go gun nuts and start shooting. No use to.
I have always been amazed how the Mexicans take a chunk of salt block and live on this for days.
Enjoy yourself.....
farmslave
Regular

Postby dcblues » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:32 pm

I'm not much of a hiker, but would a cell phone work out there? Probably a good idea to have one in case of emergency. And I would bring cigars instead of cigarettes. :)

Also, beef jerky, dried fruit, nuts.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby songdog » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:36 pm

12 hours of hiking each day? Man that's blister territory no matter how good your boots are :cry: Be sure to pack some mole skin with you. And even though you are familiar with the area, I'd pack a good map too, with tight topo lines, just in case you need to go off trail in a rugged area.

Me and a bud were backpacking the Gila wilderness area one time and lost our trail. We were trying to get to the Gila river which was less than a 1/2 mile away (we could literally see it) so we decided to drop down into a creek drainage and follow it to the river. After busting our butts for an hour the canyon narrowed to just 4 foot across and the water was at least 6' deep so we had to turn around and hike back up the drainage. I bet we were less than 100 yards from the river when we turned around. We were carrying 80lb. packs loaded with fishing gear, waders, etc. and we were dead tired after climbing out of that drainage - ruined our trip! Had we been carrying a topo map we probably would have seen how narrow the canyon got and not attempted the drainage idea.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:23 pm

Well, I have to wonder about the firearms on a hike - on the Appalachian trail, Jane and I averaged 17 mile days for 4 months, you get a little crazy about cutting down weight - guns are heavy, and I doubt that Bin Laden is hidden in Arizona. Hell, lose the guns and bring more booze!

Tips - Duct Tape will do the job of moleskin, bandages, and can be used to repair - well, almost anything else. Iodine can be used on cuts - and to sterilize groundwater in a pinch (don't want to use it too many days in a row though) (For long hikes I recommend a Pur type pump filter)

No matter how well you know the area, I'd consider a Map and a Compass to be pretty crucial.

Don't know where you're at with camp cooking - I bring a Whisperlite stove and fuel, and cook up Mac and Cheese, Curries, all sorts of good things.

Have fun, make sure someone knows your itinerary.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:44 pm

Would a radio panic beacon or a flare be reasonable?

Alcohol - makes you feel warm by opening up capillaries in the skin. Very good at helping you lose heat. When you have 40 degrees and wind chill. Think about it for a minute.

Hygiene - no mention of hand wipes or cleaner. I think I'll give your cooking a miss in that case.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:56 am

Several of you have mentioned maps, compasses, etc. I bought topographic maps of the area with 40ft. contour intervals. I learned how to properly read them when I took a geology class so I'm good there. I also have a decent compass. As for cooking, a campfire is in order I'm sure. I'm making sandwiches before the hike, and I'm bringing a few cans of chili for dinner. If I can shoot some dove, we'll eat those too.

Bournio, I'm bringing English Breakfast Tea.

farmslave wrote:How about some food!!!

I've composed a list of food as well, I just didn't post it here.

dcblues wrote:I'm not much of a hiker, but would a cell phone work out there? Probably a good idea to have one in case of emergency. And I would bring cigars instead of cigarettes. :)

Also, beef jerky, dried fruit, nuts.

Cell phones won't work. However, I am leaving coordinates of our general area with my uncle, so if we don't return by the time we should, then he can worry and do what's necessary. We're also bringing cigars. :) Dried fruits are already on the list, as are nuts. Good idea on the jerky though.

allanlummox wrote:Well, I have to wonder about the firearms on a hike <snip> guns are heavy, and I doubt that Bin Laden is hidden in Arizona. Hell, lose the guns and bring more booze!

The gun pictured weighs in at a whopping 3.4 pounds, so I really am not too worried about that weight. It's a .410 and since hunting season on dove is open and the area is crawling with dove, I figured I'd shoot a few while we're out.

maxx england wrote:Hygiene - no mention of hand wipes or cleaner. I think I'll give your cooking a miss in that case.

Alcohol swabs are included in my little medical pack.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:42 am

Here's what we've got for food and drinks.

PB&J (or honey) sandwiches
    Jerky
    Apples
    Craisins
    Nuts
    A few cookies
    Granola bars
    Canned tuna
    Canned chili
    Gatorade (1 bottle)
    Emergen-C
    Water
    Hard boiled eggs
    Dove (hopefully)

Any other foods you guys would recommend?
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Bournio » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:52 am

leftyguitarman wrote:Bournio, I'm bringing English Breakfast Tea.

Ahh excellent! One can never go wrong with a good cup of tea... Is it best not to ask the yanks that've crossed the pond what the quality of tea is over there?

leftyguitarman wrote:
maxx england wrote:Hygiene - no mention of hand wipes or cleaner. I think I'll give your cooking a miss in that case.

Alcohol swabs are included in my little medical pack.

Good show! My survival kit has always been in a tin box, normally with tape with a twist in to make it easier to remove/get a knife under, and it's got a box of matches(dipped in wax) a spare knife(ALWAYS take more than one, sheaf knife and pocket knife is my normal combination), candle (burns longer than a match) tampon(for the condensed cotton wool) instant coffee, kendal mint cake(do you get that?!)

Other than that:
Have you seen the big orange survival bags? We've got dozens at home, ALWAYS CARRY ONE ON BIG HIKES, they're waterproof, and dead obvious if anyone is looking for you.

Sleeping Mat, like a carry mat or thermarest(again budget/weight dependent) to keep yourself off the ground.

Gaiters. If your weathers been at all like ours you'll want them.

Waterproof Over trousers, Poncho's are ok, but I'd rather have trousers and a coat!

I think that's about it. Oh. Axe? If you've got one, never know how much you'd miss them till you get one.

I say all this. but my favourite weekend away has been taking a knife, axe, waterproofs, boots, sleeping bag, bivvi bag, platypus and fire lighting stuff. That makes you think....
Bournio
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:40 am

The tea I drink is Twinning's. I believe it's made in London and imported to the US. I don't know if it's as good as the stuff you drink it, but Twinning's English Breakfast is one of my most favorite drinks on the planet.

My medical supplies kit is in a waterproof ziploc and the matches are kept inside of this nifty, little, bright orange, whistle that has a compass on top. You unscrew the compass and it has a watertight inside where I keep strike anywhere matches. On the underside of the compass is a little mirror used to reflect at houses, cars, etc. I'm also carrying my trusty Zippo which is windproof, so lighting stuff on fire shouldn't be an issue. I also put cotton swabs and petroleum jelly in a bag together. They ignite instantly and burn HOT so they'll catch anything on fire. I don't think I need an axe since there's nothing to chop down. Hardly any trees in the middle of the desert. I'm taking two knives and my buddy is bringing his as well. I didn't think about instant coffee, but I don't want to be drinking a lot of caffeine because of the crash I get from it. Instead I am bringing Emergen-C which is a powder you add to water. It's loaded with electrolytes and b12 which is much better for energy. I don't have room to carry a sleeping mat, but I'm taking a sleeping bag and a tent. We'll be able to find a nice smooth spot to sleep on top of the mesa. We aren't expecting any rain, so gators and waterproof clothing isn't necessary. It's rained here one time in the past five months.

Thanks for your recommendations Bournio. If I ever cross the pond into the good ol' UK, we'll have to go out into the wilderness. Likewise if you come here.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:42 am

Oh, and I may be taking my cheap camera. I don't want to take my SLR because of the weight and the fact that it cost me $600. I'll try and take a few pictures of our trek. We're leaving Friday morning before sunrise and expect to be back after sunset on Saturday. Most of the hike is a steady climb, but the last half mile is a 3000 foot climb in under a half mile. :wha:

I can't wait. I love doing shit like this.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby beard-of-grey » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:11 am

Ric will never talk to you again if you don't include one tin of SPAM
And what about DEB dehydrated potato
And Tex screams CHILI POWDER Image
beard-of-grey
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:49 am

I'm adding SPAM to the list for sure. I'll get it on Thanksgiving day and tell the cashier it's my Thanksgiving dinner. :lol:
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby farmslave » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:40 pm

Lefty,
Sounds like you got enough for a month with you. I would bring some Imodium AD and some Pepto. You get the squirts out there and you'll be cryin the "blues" Glad you got a mirror. Pediasure Powder- for electrolyte loss is a must!! Also in a small baggie some Sea Salt not table salt big difference in minerals.
Enyoy the dove hunting ! also bring something to write on for any insperation on lyrics and such also the most important ! a woman who isn't afraid to get dirty and be dirty at as well!!!!
farmslave
Regular

Next

Return to Way off Topic