Central Virginia Blues- lil ronnie and the Grand Dukes

What about the blues club(s) in your area? Any worth visiting? Blues festivals or events?

Central Virginia Blues- lil ronnie and the Grand Dukes

Postby roosterblues » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:17 pm

Just wanted to give kudos to Shenanigans .. the little Pub that could.. on the North side of Richmond.. I recently have seen two East West Harmonica Blowouts in the area at his club. The first featured Majc Dick, Fingers Taylor and Mark Hummell and was hosted by Lil Ronnie Owens. The second and most recent featured Mitch Kashmar, Fingers Taylor and Lil Ronnie and his most excellent Grand Dukes .. Was a great nite of premier harpists at their best.. Lil Ronnie proved to me again that he can hang with the best and the rest of em .. may want to check out some of his discs, the latest two I believe were produced by Anson Funderburgh... to top it off he is a helluva nice guy.

Shenanigan's has hosted the likes of Memphis Rockabilly, the Nighthawks, Motor City Josh of late..It is a great lil Juke joint with a cozy feel .. the way blues should be heard .. y'all come
roosterblues
Regular

Postby dcblues » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:44 pm

I need to get to Richmond one of these days. It's not too far from College Park.

Was a young guitarist named Robert Frahm playing with Ronnie? I've been hearing this kid play since he was about 15. He's a very tasteful player (one of the few young players I've heard who doesn't want to be SRV) and he just keeps getting better.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Robert Frahm

Postby roosterblues » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:34 pm

Yes indeed he was.. I had a brief conversation with him between sets as I recognized a lick he had pulled from Early T-birds tune "Let Me In" . He stated that he was a fan of Jimmy Vaughan. He plays a similar, more rythmic style than most and is not all about guitar pyrotechnics. Every time I see this kid he just impresses me more and more. I enjoyed watching some of the other talented guitarists in the room watching him play. ( Kevin Selfe , Ivan Applerouth etc.) They seemed to be enjoying his stuff too. Our local blues society puts on a socials usually on an occasional Sunday afternoon that can be a lot of fun .. I think that is coming up soon. I believe you can access us by typing in We got Blues... River City Blues Society is the formal name. Come on down and visit and bring your instrument of choice. Who is up and coming in the DC/ MD area these days ?
roosterblues
Regular

Return to HomeTown Blues