Labor Day Blues

What about the blues club(s) in your area? Any worth visiting? Blues festivals or events?

Labor Day Blues

Postby dcblues » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:57 pm

What's everyone (in the US at least) doing for Labor Day?

Tomorrow is the DC Blues Festival:

http://www.dcblues.org/calend/cal_tmln.php#festival

I've been involved with that festival for over ten years. I've peformed on the main stage and workshop stage, ran the harp workshop, sold t-shirts, booked artists, been the co-chair, managed the backstage area and volunteered wherever they needed volunteers. Tomorrow I'm a general volunteer and bringing some of the backstage beverages (one thing that's nice about this festival is the free beer for performers and volunteers).

Sunday is the Baltimore Blues Society's Alonzo Memorial Picnic:

http://www.mojoworkin.com/

This is usually my day off after a day of volunteering. Tomorrow I'm playing there, so I have to work (and have fun) for an hour or so and relax the rest of the day. Mark Hummel is headlining. It will be great to see him again (it's been a few years). Hopefully the rain will stop tomorrow.

Have a great long weekend.!
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:08 pm

Hopefully I'll sneak out to the rifle range.
ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:21 pm

Jane and I are planning to go for a walk somewhere in the Columbia Gorge this weekend.

"SLABTOWN" has also got a BBQ - a birthday party for one of the bartenders - on Sunday.

Mostly, I'll be dancing around with anticipation - my Whisperroom is IN Portland, but won't be HERE until Tuesday morning.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:41 pm

Today is opening day of dove season but I don't hunt anymore. However it is my 49th birthday so I'm gonna lay around and play guitar and wait and see if da familia has any plans!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:44 pm

I'm not shooting doves, either, but I sure am feeding a bunch of 'em now!
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:11 pm

mickeypainless wrote:Today is opening day of dove season but I don't hunt anymore. However it is my 49th birthday so I'm gonna lay around and play guitar and wait and see if da familia has any plans!
Happy Birthday,Mick! Have a good weekend!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:31 pm

Just got home from playing my wife's company labor day party...it was the one year anniversary of our first gig. It was a blast and I think we blew the roof off the place. Had em all dancing before lunch and made them all way late for getting back to work. Also got rebooked for their Christmas party. 8)

Got the set list for a revival we are playing for in two weeks, so I know where all my spare time is going to go this long weekend. Yeah...I said revival...whoopin it up at a church, I have no idea what to expect :shock: 8)
1four5
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:45 pm

Whip out that Rev. Gary Davis songbook,onefer! You got any old Staples singers CDs....? You just got me revved up for gospels and spirituals again.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:20 pm

FedEx has really gotten busy and brought me, before the Labor Day long weekend, from three different places, all the gear I need to start casting bullets and handloading 8x57mm Mauser and 7.62x54Rmm Russian cartridges. So I'm about to head for the basement and not come out for a long while.
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:52 pm

(Rubs hands together with glee.)
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:43 am

You just got me revved up for gospels and spirituals again.

You know, I don't know what it is about that stuff...I never really get too excited about doing it, but do it because my friends are into it...then after a song or two, man, it gets deep and I'm really getting into it. Certianly some off the wall progressions, and insane chords...but challenging, and really deep.

oh yeah, happy birthday Mickey!!! 8)
1four5
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:18 pm

Thanx guys! Tis all a down hill slide to 50 now! :lol:
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:07 pm

1four5 wrote:
You just got me revved up for gospels and spirituals again.

You know, I don't know what it is about that stuff...I never really get too excited about doing it, but do it because my friends are into it...then after a song or two, man, it gets deep and I'm really getting into it. Certianly some off the wall progressions, and insane chords...but challenging, and really deep.

oh yeah, happy birthday Mickey!!! 8)
I like singin' em. I like the harmonies. I've picked up a few old gospel songbooks,and even old hymnals,at antique stores,and culled thru 'em for some of the classics. I like the hand-clappin',jump and jive spirituals that you might hear comin' out of a Black Baptist church on a Sunday mornin',too.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:20 pm

I forgot about Mickey's birthday! Hope you had a good one, Mick!

I've gotten a few hundred bullets cast. Got to go out to Lowe's and pick up a toilet sealing ring or two. Gonna use that soft wax for bullet lube.

Got a couple of little pus-sy (the forum software censored me) willow trees planted, fertilized all my little trees, put back together the bird feeder those dang coons pulled down and apart, read a bunch and watched the last Star Wars movie with my boy last night.

Said boy has been playing his Strat through the old beat up Peavey Backstage Plus. That's a mighty good sounding amp!
ricochet
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:45 am

ricochet wrote:FedEx has really gotten busy and brought me, before the Labor Day long weekend, from three different places, all the gear I need to start casting bullets and handloading 8x57mm Mauser and 7.62x54Rmm Russian cartridges. So I'm about to head for the basement and not come out for a long while.

Mind you get your loads right. There isn't a replay button if you don't.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to HomeTown Blues