Gigs mus' be gettin' hard to find

What about the blues club(s) in your area? Any worth visiting? Blues festivals or events?

Gigs mus' be gettin' hard to find

Postby jeffl » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:45 pm

One of our longtime local musicians was in my car store yesterday looking for a job. This guy's one of the better guitar players I've ever been around... I've played with his band a number of times. He's never had a day job as far as I know--at least in the 30 years I've known him. He gigs as a band, as a duo, and hosts jams and does karaoke, and he's always been able to find paychecks. Apparently he's been starvin'; he looked like he'd lost about 30-40 pounds.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Gigs mus' be gettin' hard to find

Postby goldbrick » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:44 pm

It is tough out there--There are lots of gigs but pay is low

I try and stay hooked in to the arts and chamber of commerce circuits because they have regular stuff

Bars and restaraunts seem to like effin djs and kraoke( or whateveer that shit is called )
goldbrick
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:35 am

Yep. DJ's come in with their millions of downloaded songs and cheezy kareoke... they make $150+tips a night around here. Try to get a band gig... and charge more than $150, they laugh and say "we'll just get the DJ." The technology generation doesn't give a rip about live music.
1four5
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:11 pm

We are fortunate to have alotta good venues for blues,folk, americana, etc. around the upper Mississippi-- if you define "good" as a place where the quality of music is good and the crowd wants to listen, and you exclude the pay. Most of these venues, you play for tips and mebbe the bar owner'll spiff you if he has a good night. You can't even cover the cost of your gear & gas overall though. You gotta do it for the love.

But, bottomline, you ARE playing to appreciative and discerning crowds (of 50 or less usually :) ).

BTW, the service manager came up to me 10 minutes ago for a reference on the guitar player I mentioned. I gave him a strong sendoff, based on people skills that he's developed in 35 years of hosting jams, open mics, solo stand-up shots, karaoke, parties, weddings, etc. I know he impressed me the times I played with him.

As a musician, you sometimes forget that you pick up skills other than the musical ones.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jbone1 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:41 pm

not that anyone has ever burned up our telephone to book us, but it IS harder to get a gig in recent years. even a door gig, which is pretty much how things are done here in recent years.
young audiences especially don't see why they should tip a duo or band when they can download all the music they want for free anyway. let alone pay a door cover unless it's a friend or relative who's playing at a place. and a lot of places expect the act to bring someone to guard the door as well.
jbone1
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:11 pm

Ant yet the new generation will pay $120 a seat to fill a stadium to see Taylor Swift :| :blink: :roll: :cry: :?
1four5
Regular

Postby G McBride » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:21 pm

Went to Joe's Pizza last night and they had two old guys playing horns and a lady playing piano and a lady playing drums. They have them in every first Friday of the month.

They are also having a band playing at the Fourth Floor Blues Club every first Friday of the month through the summer.

We have a movement in Richmond, Indiana to bring back the Blues and Jazz artists for live performances. I hope to get more involved this year with the Stargennett group this year. They are the group promoting our recording history in the town. Lots of the old greats recorded their music in Richmond, Indiana.

Our town is like most others, not a lot of live gigs can be had but we have local businesses trying to bring it back. Lots of the food and drink establishments in the Old Depot District have some kind of live music on the weekends and a few have duo's or small groups during the week now.
G McBride
Regular

Return to HomeTown Blues