Rory Gallagher - Live In Cork

Your chance to write big-time blues reviews. Only two rules: First, if you're connected to the band or artist, go to Shameless Promotion; Second, don't write a book -- keep it relatively short and simple, no 1,000+ word epics.

Oh .. and make it fun.

Rory Gallagher - Live In Cork

Postby blueswriter » Fri May 01, 2009 9:18 pm

Rory Gallagher
Live In Cork
Eagle Vision (2009) EV 30268-9

DVD, color, 80 minutes. Highly recommended. Issued on DVD in 1999 and previously available as an import only, why it took a decade to release this in the United States is a mystery, especially considering the popularity Rory Gallagher enjoyed here during his lifetime. Raised in Cork County, Ireland, Rory never forgot his love and admiration for his birthplace nor did he forget his Irish fans. His 1987 return to the Cork Opera House after an absence of some years was a highly-anticipated and sold-out event, and the powerful guitarist delivered a blistering set. While Continental Op, Tattoo'd Lady, Follow Me and Shadow Play might not be straight-ahead blues offerings, Gallagher's songwriting was never too far removed from the classic, three-chord efforts of his heroes. Indeed, I Ain't No Saint, The Loop, Off The Handle and Loanshark Blues sit very comfortably alongside When My Baby She Left Me, Don't Start Me To Talkin' and Messin' With The Kid. The familiar, beaten and battered Fender Stratocaster gets a harsh workout and Rory also puts forward two acoustic crowd-favorites, Out On The Western Plain and Wanted Blues. Gallagher had bassist Gerry McAvoy and drummer Brendan O'Neill in tow, relied on Mark Feltham for harmonica on a handful, and the band offers tight support throughout. In addition to the 80-minute concert footage with stunning audio, the DVD also has a number of bonus features, including a discograhy, photos and other memorabilia. A 'Rough Guide To Rory's Cork' shows landmarks and city locations near and dear to the Irishman's heart. Live In Cork is a fitting tribute to a much-loved and greatly-missed guitarist whose passion for blues was always worn on the sleeves of his flannel shirts and denim jackets. A not-to-be-missed concert for anyone who claims an affinity for blues. Top-notch.

http://eaglerockent.com/eaglerockUSA/media_detail.php?media_id=999

© 2009 by Craig Ruskey
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Reviews The Blues