Full Moon Lightnin' - a must see blues film!

Your chance to write big-time blues reviews. Only two rules: First, if you're connected to the band or artist, go to Shameless Promotion; Second, don't write a book -- keep it relatively short and simple, no 1,000+ word epics.

Oh .. and make it fun.

Full Moon Lightnin' - a must see blues film!

Postby blueswriter » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:43 pm

Hello again... as promised, there's plenty more coming. This DVD was slated for review a bit later in the rotation, but it's simply too good to wait on. DO NOT MISS THIS FILM!

Full Moon Lightnin'
Amogla Records (2009) DVD

90+ minutes, color. Essential. Full Moon Lightnin' isn't Hollywood glitz with a story-line so far removed from truth that you wonder what you're seeing. It's not all too often that items reviewed here garner a full-on 'essential' rating; in the past, that lofty position has been reserved for outstanding reissues of vintage blues. This documentary is neither a reissue nor is it vintage blues in the truest sense. In actuality, it's difficult to call it a documentary as it seems more like a travelogue. The story focuses on Joel Poluck, a young guitar player of note, and Floyd Lee, an aging bluesman, and the trials and tribulations these wonderful friends share. Without giving away the farm, this is nothing short of an absolutely remarkable piece of cinematic brilliance. While Lee searches for remnants of his past and those whom he knew decades ago in Mississippi, Poluck is desperately trying to hold onto what's near and very dear to him. The music throughout is startling, regardless of whether your preferences are for more traditional or modern blues. Poluck's guitar work is deeply rooted, but at the same time he shows he's able to take the music into the 21st century without losing the essence of blues' lengthy past. Lee, on the other hand, is seemingly stuck in a time-warp; his six-string work is wonderfully primitive, archaic and raw. Whether playing on the streets of New York, the juke joints of Mississippi or within the confines of a recording studio, Poluck and Lee make truly memorable music and share a story quite unlike anything you've seen before. This is truth. This is real. This is life. This is blues. Full Moon Lightnin' is, without question, a completely soul-stirring film that gives us hope by clearly and painfully showing that we've all had to deal with our own blues in one form or another. There's a limited edition 2-disc set currently available that features a full-length audio CD in addition to the 90-minute DVD. Please, do not miss this unforgettable journey!

Full Moon Lightnin'

© 2009 by Craig Ruskey
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Full Moon Lightnin' - a must see blues film!

Postby blueswrench » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:56 am

Didn't see on the link where you can buy it. Amazon, maybe? Definitely would like to see it
blueswrench
Regular

Postby howlnwoof » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:13 am

I checked on Amamzon and it said it had already been discontinued and was no longer available ??????

Now what?
howlnwoof
Regular

Postby blueswriter » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:16 am

blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby howlnwoof » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:24 am

Just found it here .....

http://cdbaby.com/cd/floydleeband3

yeeha!!!!!
howlnwoof
Regular

Postby BluezOldy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:57 am

howlnwoof wrote:Just found it here .....

http://cdbaby.com/cd/floydleeband3

yeeha!!!!!

Great, thanks. Just what I needed: another AU$45.00 on my credit card! Image

Seriously: that was a good deal with the CD included. Can't wait for it to arrive.
BluezOldy
Regular

Postby blueswrench » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:08 am

Thanks for the link!!! Just got it ordered :D :D
blueswrench
Regular

Postby BluezOldy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:20 am

blueswrench wrote:Thanks for the link!!! Just got it ordered :D :D

And they despatch fast! Mine was sent within 12 hours of ordering. Now all I have to do is wait for that dang plane to fly all the way down here.
BluezOldy
Regular

Postby BluezOldy » Tue May 05, 2009 10:29 am

And it (autographed!) arrived which is fantastic service to Australia from CDBaby.

I'm going to force myself to wait to the weekend to watch and enjoy it.
BluezOldy
Regular

Return to Reviews The Blues