Stevie Ray Vaughan

Your chance to write big-time blues reviews. Only two rules: First, if you're connected to the band or artist, go to Shameless Promotion; Second, don't write a book -- keep it relatively short and simple, no 1,000+ word epics.

Oh .. and make it fun.

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Postby blueswriter » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:51 am

Stevie Ray Vaughan & Friends
Solos, Sessions & Encores
Epic/Legacy (2007) 87231 2

14 tracks, 70 minutes. Excellent. Stevie Ray Vaughan sure left his mark on the music world. Consider that while he was alive, only five licensed recordings under his own name had been issued; Texas Flood, Couldn't Stand The Weather, Soul To Soul, Live Alive and In Step. He died just before the Family Style project with brother Jimmie was released. Since his 1990 death, his catalog has easily tripled, including 'best of' discs, DVDs and a fine pair of booklet sets combining CDs and DVD material. And that still doesn't include the numerous recordings he appeared on as a guest during his short life, or the unauthorized bootlegs. There have been books about him as well, and let's not forget there's another SRV disc due this month. All that aside, this review is about Solos, Sessions & Encores. It's a decent enough set, but it also shows signs of being quickly slapped together. Only six of the disc's fourteen tracks had been unissued until now. Of those six, You Can Have My Husband is an early, tough and rugged cut dating to 1978 when Stevie and Lou Ann Barton were tearing up Texas. Change It comes from the Saturday Night Live vaults in 1985 with the Vaughan Brothers backed by Double Trouble. The remaining four are all 'live' recordings with Stevie Ray and Lonnie Mack pairing for Oreo Cookie Blues and two from the 1988 New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival; Stevie as a guest of Katie Webster's for On The Run, and with Albert Collins as both slingers rip it up and trade verses through a storming Albert's Shuffle. These cuts all show the respect Stevie had for his peers as well as the respect they had for him. Unfortunately, the version of Texas Flood with Bonnie Raitt is little more than a six-minute disaster. Raitt's slide guitar and Vaughan's crushing Texas approach get along as well as two alley cats in a burlap sack. This sonic melee would have been better left inside the vault. Of the previously issued material, Let's Dance runs its full seven-and-a-half minutes and differs vastly from the heavily-edited classic rock version on the radio. It's worth picking up this CD just to hear Vaughan's blues guitar slicing through a David Bowie dance number. The balance of the tracks display SRV's work with A.C. Reed, Marcia Ball, Johnny Copeland, Bill Carter and Jeff Beck. The Sky Is Crying is another all-star gathering with Albert and B.B. King, Vaughan and Paul Butterfield. Serious SRV collectors will already have most, if not all, of this material. There is a distinct difference between this and the releases lovingly compiled by Stevie's big brother. Solos, Sessions & Encores has its strong moments but it's not a must-have item.

Legacy Recordings

© 2008 by Craig Ruskey
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Stevie Ray Vaughan

Postby srvlives » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:45 am

[quote="blueswriter"] and let's not forget there's another SRV disc due this month./quote]

More info please my good man......
srvlives
Regular

Postby blueswriter » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:58 am

srvlives wrote:More info please my good man......

Stevie Ray Vaughan - X2 which combines Texas Flood with In The Beginning. Pre-release information said nothing about bonus tracks, but this isn't the first sign of Epic milking his legacy - they've been doing that for a good while now. There will be a review of it.
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby diamondblast » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:17 am

blueswriter wrote:
srvlives wrote:More info please my good man......

Stevie Ray Vaughan - X2 which combines Texas Flood with In The Beginning. Pre-release information said nothing about bonus tracks, but this isn't the first sign of Epic milking his legacy - they've been doing that for a good while now. There will be a review of it.

Actually, this album can already be bought (or preordered) at Tower Records.

X2 has 24 songs on 2 CDs, and 12 of the songs are "live". :) I might get it, but now I'm short of money....

Well, I sure hope that it will be good like his others.

diamondblast from Jemsite
diamondblast
Regular

Postby Garpjarp » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:59 pm

We just posted a story on the Gibson site about SRV. Enjoy: http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/Lifestyle ... tin%2Dpan/
Garpjarp
Regular

Return to Reviews The Blues