Doug Jay & The Blue Jays

Your chance to write big-time blues reviews. Only two rules: First, if you're connected to the band or artist, go to Shameless Promotion; Second, don't write a book -- keep it relatively short and simple, no 1,000+ word epics.

Oh .. and make it fun.

Doug Jay & The Blue Jays

Postby blueswriter » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:14 pm

Doug Jay & The Blue Jays
Under The Radar
Crosscut (2007) CCD 11094

14 tracks, 53 minutes. Excellent. Although Doug Jay doesn’t possess one of the most memorable names in blues, he’s certainly been around long enough to be recognized by more than a few readers. He cut his teeth in the mid-1970s around the Mid-Atlantic area of the US and worked regularly with Bob Margolin in the early 80s before moving to the West Coast and on to Europe more than a few years ago. Jay’s sophomore effort for Germany’s Crosscut imprint finds him returning with the same crack band from 2005's Jackpot. Christoph "Jimmy" Reiter handles the guitar chores, Jasper Mortier delivers acoustic & electric bass and Andre Werkmeister provides the solid drumming. Jay’s harp work shows plenty of Post-war influence but his playing doesn’t lean only on Chicago players as there are traces of Slim Harpo and Lazy Lester among others. As a vocalist, Doug is workmanlike but this time around he seems to rely occasionally on an early penchant for pop music ahere and there. It’s not a distraction but it doesn’t mark his best work as a singer - look for his first Crosscut release. Reiter’s guitar is tough and effortless throughout running easily between the rocking rhythms of If It’s Love, the romping Love Grows Cold and the bristling Show Me The Way To Love You. Mortier and Werkmeister prove to be a fine rhythm section whether the band is tackling the Excello-patterned Poor Me or the rumba-flavored It’s Easy When You Know How. Special guests include Kai Strauss on guitar, Gordon Beadle’s top-notch sax and Christian Rannenberg’s piano. Doug Jay & The Blue Jays may well be Under The Radar but look them up and find out what you’ve been missing.

Crosscut Records
Doug Jay

© 2008 by Craig Ruskey
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Doug Jay & The Blue Jays

Postby jeffl » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:19 pm

That album title was already used on one of Little Feat's later efforts, I believe. I mean, in the last 10 years or so....
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Reviews The Blues