Freddie King - Texas In My Blues

Your chance to write big-time blues reviews. Only two rules: First, if you're connected to the band or artist, go to Shameless Promotion; Second, don't write a book -- keep it relatively short and simple, no 1,000+ word epics.

Oh .. and make it fun.

Freddie King - Texas In My Blues

Postby blueswriter » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:19 pm

Freddie King
Texas In My Blues
Great American Music (2007) GA-696

10 tracks, 77 minutes. Excellent with reservations. Okay, let's get a couple minor items cleared up before tackling the music. Texas In My Blues isn't going to garner any first-place awards being somewhat handicapped from a sonic standpoint. These might well be board recordings, and good examples at that, but it's simply not the sharpest 'live' blues disc currently available. The best thing going for it in the packaging department is that the liner notes carry Bill Dahl's name, but even those don't raise the bar much beyond a cursory look. When it was recorded isn't mentioned and who accompanied the Texas guitar buster isn't revealed so all we have to go on is that "This is Freddie King live and unedited recorded in Texas and Oaklahoma" (sic) - you'd think they could have at least spell-checked Oklahoma. Barbs aside, it's still a potent and powerful document of what Freddie King was like in front of appreciative audiences late in his all-too-short life. Boogie Chillun gets tough and mostly instrumental treatment and the blistering Have You Ever Loved A Woman carries on for more than a dozen minutes with King's muscular guitar in top-shelf form. The remainder of the set is standard Freddie-fare; Mojo Boogie, Messin' With The Kid, Going Down, Stormy Monday, Woman Across The River, Sweet Home Chicago and a few more. The band(s) behind King include second guitar, keyboards, bass, and drums and sound quality ranges from fair to excellent. It's better than the 'bootleg' quality blues scholars might assume seeing as the original source tapes are from the estate of Roy Ames. Definitely worth the mid-line price it's currently running at so check your favorite local shops or on-line retail outlets for the best bang for the buck.

Texas In My Blues

© 2008 by Craig Ruskey
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Freddie King - Texas In My Blues

Postby jeffl » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:14 am

Thanks again for your efforts B-Dub.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby blueswriter » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:43 am

Thanks for reading, Jeff. There's more on the way this week. Stay tuned. :wink:
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:30 am

I love Freddie King. I'd probably like just about any track he's laid down.
ricochet
Regular

Return to Reviews The Blues