Sunnyland Slim & His Pals

Your chance to write big-time blues reviews. Only two rules: First, if you're connected to the band or artist, go to Shameless Promotion; Second, don't write a book -- keep it relatively short and simple, no 1,000+ word epics.

Oh .. and make it fun.

Postby blueswriter » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:44 pm

Howdy folks... as promised there's more on the way. Up next wil be the new Rod Piazza disc and the fine debut from The Insomniacs, both on Delta Groove. Please stay tuned and thanks for reading and participating.

The Classic Sides 1947-1953
JSP (2006) 7783

4 CDs, 104 tracks, 295 minutes. Excellent (with reservations). The JSP label has taken to issuing some heavily-loaded boxed sets in recent years which run the gamut from Pre-war masters to Post-war giants. This recent 4-disc compilation focuses on the efforts of Albert Luandrew, otherwise known as Sunnyland Slim. With more than half of this set devoted to Slim's numerous sessions as a bandleader (over fifty sides feature him) and the remainder showing his efforts in a supporting role, there's plenty to enjoy. However, this package doesn't come without its share of glaring faults. On the positive side of the bill is JSP's budget-pricing and the stunning cross-section of artists. First off, the half-dozen tracks featuring Robert Lockwood stand as absolutely brilliant works of art. Pearly B, I'm Gonna Dig Myself A Hole, Glory For Man, My Daily Wish and two versions of Dust My Broom all show Lockwood's masterful work blending blues and jazz guitar with devastating distortion over two different sessions from 1951. Living In The White House and Please Don't are Johnny Shines tracks while Pet Rabbit, Louella, Late Hours At Midnight and Blues Is Killin' Me all showcase the fine and under-appreciated Baby Face Leroy Foster. There are six from Floyd Jones; Big Road, Dark World, Schooldays On My Mind, Ain't Times Hard, Floyd's Blues and Any Old Lonesome Day, twelve from J.B. Lenoir, eleven from St. Louis Jimmy and three which feature Jimmy Rogers. The downside of things shows in various forms. For some unexplained reason JSP ignored a pair of Slim's dynamite Aristocrat sides with Fly Right Little Girl and Johnson Machine Gun nowhere to be found. Then there are the duplicated tracks already residing in the JSP catalog. Why Ludella, I'm In Love and That's All Right from Jimmy Rogers were included when they appeared on JSP's Chicago Is Just That Way set from 2005 isn't quite apparent, aside from the fact that Sunnyland Slim was present on Rogers' session. Also included on the aforementioned 2005 box are a pair of Lockwood's Mercury sides (Dig Myself A Hole/Dust My Broom), two from Little Walter (Blue Baby/I Want My Baby), and add to that a handful of Sunnyland Slim cuts that also appeared on Chicago Is Just That Way. It's doubtful anyone would cast a dim light on these wonderful cuts but there's simply no excuse when a label duplicates itself in under two years. If that weren't enough, this imprint has become somewhat sloppy with their packaging. The Classic Sides subtitle is probably due for retirement and this collection actually covers the years 1947 to 1955, not 1953 as stated on the cover. And mathematically speaking, four discs of twenty-six tracks each adds up to 104 sides, not 97. As usual with other JSP boxes, recording information is complete with all known dates and sidemen and Neil Slaven's liner notes make for fine reading, even if they lightly skim the surface. While it's nice to have JSP pressing more vintage blues in boxed-set form with budget prices, there's an overdue need for them to use far better planning and further avoid duplicating material that's already available in their catalog. In addition, it's time for a complete retooling of their dismal website.

JSP Records

© 2007 by Craig Ruskey
Last edited by blueswriter on Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:14 pm

thanks for reading and participating...

I wish there was more participation (and feedback) for your fine work B-Dub. Rest assured though, that I read them all even if I don't post to each.

Like most other readers, I can only afford a fraction of the material that you review so you provide an invaluable service to help stretch our blues dollars. Kudos.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:13 pm

What Bosco sez,B-Dub. Thanks again. This one here I may have to buy, primarily 'cuz of the broad range of musicians on it, and the probability that there's a number of tunes on it that I've never heard. I need a fresh shot of music right now, so again, a big thanks.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby blueswriter » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:49 pm

Thanks for reading and offering your thoughts. It's much appreciated. The Slim set is definitely worth it for the wide range of what's included. The Lockwood and Baby Face Leroy sides are worth the price of admission alone!
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Reviews The Blues