Nick Moss & The Flip Tops at Chan's

Your chance to write big-time blues reviews. Only two rules: First, if you're connected to the band or artist, go to Shameless Promotion; Second, don't write a book -- keep it relatively short and simple, no 1,000+ word epics.

Oh .. and make it fun.

Nick Moss & The Flip Tops at Chan's

Postby blueswriter » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:36 pm

NICK MOSS & THE FLIP TOPS

06/23/2007 Chan's - Woonsocket, RI

Nick Moss (guitar/vocals/harmonica/bass)
Gerry Hundt (bass/guitar/mandolin/harmonica/vocals)
Piano Willie Oshawny (piano/organ/bass/vocals)
Bob Carter (drums/vocals)

Well, if folks don't know it by now, Nick Moss & The Flip Tops play some of the finest music to be heard anywhere on Planet Earth. Friday night's scheduled show at Harry's Blues Bar in Hyannis, Massachusetts fell through with the establishment unable to pass a few building codes before their grand reopening. But last night's return to Chan's in Woonsocket, Rhode Island (where the band's 'live' CD was recorded) was a night of smoking, smoldering, kick-ass blues for the near-capacity crowd.

Nick and the boys lit the evening's fuse just after 8:00 PM and kept the fireworks coming for a full 90-minute set that featured the Flip Tops' musical chairs fun, some well-placed (and hysterical) comedy from Nick along with plenty of shuffles, slow blues, rockin' boogies and much more. Highlights with this outfit come fast and furious when Nick displays his sophisticatedly streetwise songwriting, his muscular guitar work (with chops to spare) and his ability to gauge the room and temper his sets accordingly. Moss pulled out a couple of fine originals from earlier CDs including a tough and rugged version of Check My Pulse before taking the band and the audience in the alley. Lonesome In My Bedroom, a brooding slow blues, gave Gerry Hundt an opportunity to blow some tastefully restrained harp before Moss handed in equally nasty guitar. The spotlight then went over to Piano Willie Oshawny for a solid cover of James Cotton's One More Mile before Hundt took center-stage to deliver the gritty Hard Road, an original that showcased his great vocal phrasing and gripping mandolin work that nods to Johnny Young. Drummer Bob Carter also took some vocal chores for a fine Blame It On The Blues before Hundt moved forward again, this time on guitar, to launch into Bo Diddley's Mona, a favorite at Chan's.

The second show (another full 90 minutes) started with Nick calling on the ghost of Earl Hooker for a blistering slow blues laced with rippling slide, crunching single-string leads and masterfully effective volume pedal work that surely made 'Zeb' proud, coursing as he was through Nick's veins. The crew also dished out plenty of material from their upcoming CD (due in October) while the Chan's crowd ate it up as much as they did Jimmy Reed's Down In Virginia, Jimmy Rogers' That's All Right and a handful or two of Magic Slim, T-Bone and Muddy Waters.

It should come as no surprise that Nick Moss & The Flip Tops are steeped in tradition and play blues with respect for the masters, but watching Nick grow as an artist shows a man truly coming into his own and finding the musical ground he's better-suited to cultivate. There's more maturity, originality and wisdom in his playing while his songwriting shows a keener eye with a constantly-growing wit to express it with. Nick and his cohorts still laud those who taught them, and it's a sure bet they'll continue, but this cast of musical wonders are showing a brilliance only hinted at previously. Kudos to Nick for realizing the strengths of his band and giving each member the opportunity to shine. And an additional plug for Gerry Hundt who sparkles as a complete team player. It's refreshing and heartwarming to hear a youngblood talk with respect and passion for masters like Junior Wells and Johnny Young, just two of his many influences.

October should deliver a windfall from the Blue Bella label with new discs in the can from Gerry Hundt, The Kilborn Alley Blues Band, Bill Lupkin and plenty more from Nick Moss & The Flip Tops... Nick tells me his newest will be filled with surprises sure to please but this reporter is not letting any secrets out just yet. Do yourselves a favor and get out to support these fine and talented gentlemen when they come through your area - you won't be disappointed.

Go to: Nick Moss & The Flip Tops for tour dates, merchandise, news and plenty more. But don't stop there. Get out and see these guys!

I'll be posting some pictures within a day or two as well.

2007 - Craig Ruskey
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Nick Moss

Postby mike932 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:50 am

I had the privelege of meeting the band. I was on the board of directors for the Boise Blues Society. Nick and his band played at our annual meeting two years ago. They are incredible. I hope to catch them again when I am in Chicago this summer.
mike932
Regular

Nic Moss Pictures

Postby blueswriter » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:41 am

Here are a few pictures from Saturday night's show at Chan's in Woonsocket - I'm not really a photographer.

Nick at work...

In the zone...

Hittin' the groove...

Nick, Piano Willie and Gerry (left to right)

Bob Carter and Gerry layin' down a Hard Road

A couple more pictures from Saturday night...

Nick blowing harp, Willie on bass and Gerry on mandolin workin' that Hard Road...

Nick & Gerry on guitars with Willie on bass.

I'll make sure to get closer to the artists when I photograph a show from now on. A special thanks to Nick and the guys for being such great friends and hosts. ;)
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:12 pm

Nick and the Boys will be headlining the Kalamazoo Blues Festival on July 14 th. Alas, we have a gig that night and I can't attend! I'd love to see them again, especially since they have added some harp to the show.

I'll have to console myself by going to the Kazoo Fest on Friday night, July 13 th and checking out Watermelon Slim & the Workers.

:wink:

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Reviews The Blues