Ana Popovic - Still Making History

Your chance to write big-time blues reviews. Only two rules: First, if you're connected to the band or artist, go to Shameless Promotion; Second, don't write a book -- keep it relatively short and simple, no 1,000+ word epics.

Oh .. and make it fun.

Ana Popovic - Still Making History

Postby blueswriter » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:20 pm

Howdy gang... for those who have been waiting patiently, I'm back with more reviews this week. We'll be looking at We Are Mighty Lester and The American Folk Blues Festival - The British Tours plus four new discs on the Severn label by Buck Hill, Tad Robinson, Darrell Nulisch and Sugar Ray & The Bluetones. That's not all - this time of the year there's always more so please stay tuned. ;)

Ana Popovic
Still Making History
Eclecto Groove (2007) EGRCD 501

14 tracks, 64 minutes. Excellent. Fans of Ana Popovic will find reason for celebration looking at Still Making History as the new disc resides on Eclecto Groove, a branch of the highly visible and well-distributed Delta Groove imprint. Critical acclaim has followed Popovic since she vacated her homeland of Belgrade, Yugoslavia and the high praise proves to have a solid foundation. Produced by John Porter (the Grammy Award winning console man who's worked with Los Lonely Boys, Buddy Guy, Bonnie Raitt and others), Popovic seems to have found firm ground to stand on with her heavily blues-influenced music. She's certainly progressed as a vocalist sounding much more relaxed and comfortable and her guitar playing blends blues sensitivity with the virtuosity of a highly-developed rocker. Aided by Jon Cleary, Tony Braunagel and other top-notch supporters, she rides easily between the jazzy and sensual Doubt Everyone But Me and the burning pyrotechnics of You Don't Move Me No More to the slide-infused shuffle of How'd You Learn To Shake It Like That. Ana Popovic steps out with a new sense of maturity with the ability to blend pop hooks and bluesy, blazing guitar work with a voice that'll send men crying to their mothers. For those missing the days when rockers still knew how to make blues-drenched guitar statements mean something without going over the edge, Ana Popovic will get hearts racing again. She's bound to be making more well-received music in the foreseeable future and let's hope her connection to blues remains intact. Well done.

Ana Popovic - Eclecto Groove

© 2007 by Craig Ruskey
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:59 am

Ana Popovic
Still Making History

MORE pictures please!!!!! ;)
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby amfest » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:35 pm

We will be posting Pictures of Ana on our web site within a few weeks.
She got the crowd so pumped up for Johnny Winter.Talking with Ana at the after party My wife & I came to one realization...her physical beauty is only surpasses by her inner beauty.......and her guitar playing.
Hats off to Ana,Ronald,& Tony for a fantastic time!!!http://www.bamfest.net
amfest
Regular

Return to Reviews The Blues