The Mannish Boys - Big Plans

Your chance to write big-time blues reviews. Only two rules: First, if you're connected to the band or artist, go to Shameless Promotion; Second, don't write a book -- keep it relatively short and simple, no 1,000+ word epics.

Oh .. and make it fun.

The Mannish Boys - Big Plans

Postby blueswriter » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:33 am

The Mannish Boys
Big Plans
Delta Groove (2007) DGPCD116

15 tracks, 58 minutes, highly recommended. Big Plans marks the third release for The Mannish Boys in four years, and for those familiar with their earlier efforts, this one looms just as large as its predecessors. Sparks are bound to fly when the sessions include the tasteful yet equally shattering guitar work of Kid Ramos, Kirk "Eli" Fletcher and Franck "Paris Slim" Goldwasser. Jody Williams also steps in to offer up Groan My Blues Away plus Young And Tender, both with his own rippling fretwork. Finis Tasby is back again handing in the vocal chores for Border Town Blues, I Get So Worried, My Baby's A Good 'Un, Walkin' Down Fillmore and Why Do Things Happen To Me? Those who know Finis and his powerful pipes will know what to expect and the results are pure quality. Johnny Dyer's voice and harp are both full and frighteningly good on the Muddy Waters classic Just To Be With You, and Jimmy Rogers' Broken Hearted Blues gets another fine vocal delivery from Dyer. Bobby Jones, an old-school Chicago singer, belts out the up-tempo Mary Jane and Howlin' Wolf's slow and moody California Blues, while Randy Chortkoff (Delta Groove's production chief) hands in Mine All Mine with his own hefty harmonica work. Never short on all-star blues talent, The Mannish Boys' newest disc also features Rick Holmstrom, Mitch Kashmar, Rob Rio, Larry Taylor, Jeff Turmes, Richard "Big Foot" Innes and others just for good measure. Let's hope the Big Plans include much more from this amazing outfit. They continue to fly the blues banner high and mighty without giving in to fads or trends. The Mannish Boys just toss out pure, rollicking, good-time music for all to enjoy. Rest assured - this is another gem!

http://deltagrooveproductions.com/

© 2007 by Craig Ruskey
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Reviews The Blues