Farrell & Guyger

Your chance to write big-time blues reviews. Only two rules: First, if you're connected to the band or artist, go to Shameless Promotion; Second, don't write a book -- keep it relatively short and simple, no 1,000+ word epics.

Oh .. and make it fun.

Farrell & Guyger

Postby blueswriter » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:35 pm

FARRELL & GUYGER
Down Home Old School COuntry Blues
Blue Beet (2006) 100003

16 tracks, 59 minutes - highly recommended. While discussions continue as to the current state of blues, artists like Richard Ray Farrell and Steve Guyger forge ahead doing what they do best - they play the music like it's meant to be played - with conviction, respect, and an all-too-rare ability to convey true feeling without sounding like they were recently dusted off some museum shelf. This is the real deal, honest-to-goodness Down Home Old School Country Blues played by two masters whose abilities flow together effortlessly. Vocal chores are shared by the team with Farrell handing in Good Morning Little School Girl, Friar's Point Blues, Gimme Mine Now, and Cocaine Blues, among others, with Guyger tackling Cool Cool Place To Go, That's Alright, Sail On, I Gotta Go plus a few more, and both know the meaning of phrasing and finding the core of the music they play. As far as unheralded modern-day bluesmen go, it doesn't get any more real than what Richard Ray Farrell and Steve Guyger deliver, and their lengthy histories and credits attest to their talent. Brilliant stuff!

Farrell & Guyger

Available from Roots & Rhythm and other fine merchants, both on-line and local - support blues!

© 2007 by Craig Ruskey
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:39 pm

Thanks B-Dub; that stuff's right up my alley,bein' a harper who's spent countless hours playin' acoustic guitar/harp duo stuff,goin' back to Koerner,Ray,and Glover,etc.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Reviews The Blues