Albert King & Ike Turner

Your chance to write big-time blues reviews. Only two rules: First, if you're connected to the band or artist, go to Shameless Promotion; Second, don't write a book -- keep it relatively short and simple, no 1,000+ word epics.

Oh .. and make it fun.

Albert King & Ike Turner

Postby blueswriter » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:37 am

ALBERT KING
Stax Profiles
Stax (2006) 8622-2

11 tracks, 54 minutes - highly recommended. For those unfamiliar with Albert King, his viscious left-handed and upside-down guitar approach, the violent attack laced with wicked string bending, and a booming voice, this CD squarely lands in the 'essential' category, especially looking at the budget pricetag. For those listing Albert as a frequent visitor to their sound systems, it doesn't come unarmed either as it offers a stunning previously unreleased version of Born Under A Bad Sign from 1983 with Stevie Ray Vaughan. Other highlights include a slashing Don't Throw Your Love On Me So Strong, a 'live' recording from Thursday Night In San Francisco in 1968, the absolutely brutal guitar in Lovingest Woman In Town from 1970, and the simmering two-part I'll Play The Blues For You. A great primer for the uninitiated but one that carries interest for seasoned collectors alike.

Stax Records

IKE TURNER
Risin' With The Blues
Zoho (2006) 200611

12 tracks, 54 minutes - excellent - with reservations. Ike Turner returned a few years back with Here And Now garnering critical acclaim for that effort and he steps front and center again on Risin' With The Blues. However, if there's one thing that perhaps doesn't belong front and center it's Ike's voice; he's more of an awkward croaker who can't carry a tune in a suitcase. He manages to sound almost passable on the funkier tracks Gimme Back My Wig and Tease Me but on Fats Domino's Goin' Home Tomorrow and Eighteen Long Years (a rather backhanded reference to someone who should need no mention) he's painful to listen to. Thankfully, the instrumentals After Hours, Senor Blues, Bi Polar, and Jazzy Fuzzy break things up giving the listener some much-needed relief. Rockin' Blues gets the award for its killer guitar work, once again proving Ike still has what it takes... if only he wouldn't sing.

Zoho Music

All items reviewed are available from Roots & Rhythm, other on-line outlets, or through local retailers. Support blues.

© 2007 by Craig Ruskey
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Reviews The Blues