BRB Vol. II pt. I?

Your chance to write big-time blues reviews. Only two rules: First, if you're connected to the band or artist, go to Shameless Promotion; Second, don't write a book -- keep it relatively short and simple, no 1,000+ word epics.

Oh .. and make it fun.

BRB Vol. II pt. I?

Postby david » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:55 pm

Are we going to have a constructive critique of the pieces on this CD? I know we tried it on the first one and very few were willing to say anything about anybody else's work.

I know I would appreciate any constructive suggestions.

Anybody up for it?
david
Contributor
Contributor

RE: BRB Vol. II pt. I?

Postby jeffl » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:56 pm

I only have one thing to say: there are some really good singing voices on it, and I'm still discovering things about the tunes (i.e., the underlying ass-kickin' beat on "Chicken Plicker"). oops,that's 2....
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby boz » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:03 pm

I don't know HOW to go about critique(ing).
I mean if it's not obvious to the people who actually made the music.
(Other than "MO Betta" recording equipment.)
I mean how can you tell someone, "It was a great song cept for your sing'n"?
There's gotta be somethin I'm miss'n about this critique thing.
I know I for one am embarrased enough just to share what I do let alone offer any opinion on others stuff.
THIS IS NOT TO SAY that others may have an insight and way of communicating "constructive criticisim" that would be helpfull.
I just can't.
boz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby doc williamson » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:04 pm

Hi David ~ I feel like I can give you constructive criticism on your track. I got really familiar with it when Duck was working on mixing it and I listened to several mixes and then the final on the BRB II CD.

You tell a great story and your voice is very good on telling the tale. Your slide guitar work is well placed and tasteful and never overplayed. It is one of my favorite tracks on the CD. I would suggest you not be so microphone shy. Your voice is good though too understated. Duck can give you recording techniques that will help your next track be even better. You'll never go wrong with a good story, good sliding and your voice. You only speak during your story but you don't "speak up." Have more confidence in your voice, it fits your style and no one can tell your stories better than you.
doc williamson
Contributor
Contributor

Postby david » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:10 am

Doc, thanks for the comments. I think they are well placed. Speaking, I do all right, but you ain't heard me try to sing!

Part of the problem was the Piece 'O Crap mic I have that I had never tried to use before.

BOZ, I can't imagine being shy about putting out your tunes. I love them.

I guess I was hoping some of the folks here that make music much more than I do could offer suggestions on things like the structure of the piece. I find that I can get a riff going that sounds pretty good, at least to me, but then I don't know where to go with it from there. I was hoping to pick up some things from hearing the more learned discuss the mechanics of it, not just the "I like it" or "It really sucks out loud" aspects.

I guess this is where this whole attempt at critique fell on its face with the last CD. I remember when I took lessons for a brief period (which helped a lot with my basic technique) I played some of my stuff for the teacher and she always just kind of smiled politely and went on to something else. Turns out she could play slide pretty well, but didn't like blues very much. Maybe I was looking for tips I could use to expand just a bit.

I don't feel comfortable giving "analysis" of anybody else's piece because I don't know what I'm doing and assume everyone else not only plays, but knows why they played it the way they did.

If I would have any comment for "Time Round Here" it would be to expand the playing just a bit by adding a line or two of just the instrument. But that's because I love that sound and wanted to hear more. I wanted to hear you stretch out.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby boz » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:49 am

Thank You Brother,
I guess maybe I understand a little more of what your talk'n about.
Especially when you mention that I could have "Done a solo" kind of thing.
O.K.
That's what I love about "OUR" CD we can take time to examine it, weigh it, look at all the angles an stuff.
You Guys are the Greatest !
-
Boz
boz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bottleneckjohn » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:42 pm

Hmm, I must have been away long enough to completely miss out on this one..!!

Have you guys been doin' compilation CD's with forum members..?!
And 2 of them!! How can I get hold of these? Who's sellin'..?!

And if there's gonna be a third.. I want in!! :)

Let me know the deal!!
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:44 pm

There's a Vol. 2, Part 2 being compiled now.
ricochet
Regular

Postby badfinger » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:43 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Dec-14-04 AT 11:46 PM (EST)]There's a "UK BRB Fest, 2005" cd... Somewhere... Sometime...

Oops! Make that "...2004" ! ! !
badfinger
Regular

Postby sandy » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:05 pm

Sorted, and should have been so earlier. If anyone wants a copy of the BRB UK Fest 2004 CD, let me know. I hope all the participants now have a copy, at least. For anyone else, maybe we can set up a distribution chain. It comes as a CD and a separate CD with a pdf of the artwork for the cover. I could also include a Quark version of the cover, but I think the pdf should do for most people.
sandy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mikedev » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:33 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Dec-21-04 AT 07:34 AM (EST)]I don't have one!!!!

Well not the 'final version' with artwork!
mikedev
Regular

Postby sandy » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:18 pm

Sorry MikeDev. I thought they had all gone out to the participants. I'll try to sort it out over Xmas, although my computer is playing up. I think I have over filled it. CDs will be in the post as soon as I can burn them again.
sandy
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Reviews The Blues