AFBF DVD Reviews

Your chance to write big-time blues reviews. Only two rules: First, if you're connected to the band or artist, go to Shameless Promotion; Second, don't write a book -- keep it relatively short and simple, no 1,000+ word epics.

Oh .. and make it fun.

RE: AFBF DVD Reviews

Postby blueswriter » Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:58 pm

If you're getting Volume 1 soon, I'm willing to bet you'll be buying the second volume soon after... it's only gonna take one viewing and you'll be itchin' to see the other!

BW
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby david » Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:30 pm

I printed out the info and left it laying on my wife's desk as a very subtle hint about the coming holiday.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:02 am

So- did I miss sumpin'? I saw those reviews, and I wound up orderin' the "Various Artists- Blues Harmonica, Vol.2, 1946-1952 CDs. I thought about gettin' a DVD for a buddy for Christmas, but I bought myself the CDs. That's the spirit,huh? By the time it gets here, my Portnoy course will have been in my hands for a couple weeks, so I'll be achievin' Nirvana. I think I'm gonna. . I think I'm gonna- ah-h-h-h.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jaybird » Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:14 pm

Got me an Amazon gift certificate for x-mas and ordered up vols 1&2 of the AFBF DVDs. They're Great! It makes it a bit easier to try and steal some of the masters harp licks when you can actually see what they are doing, more or less. Also after watching JLH do his harp solo I can now say "hey, I'm a better harp player than John Lee" at least based on that performance.

The only thing about the photage that I dislike mildly is the sometimes sterile tv studio environment. They tried to make it look down home but sometimes you can see that maybe the performers and the "audience" are a little uncomfortable or confused by their surroundings. And the lame audiences all suit and tied up seem to throw the performers off a little bit. Maybe not what they were used to.

To see Sonny Boy Williamson strut his stuff and Sonny Terry work his magic alone is well worth the asking price of these two disks.

Thanks for the indepth review Blueswriter.

One mans opinion.

Jaybird
jaybird
Contributor
Contributor

Postby blueswriter » Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:42 pm

Glad you liked the reviews. I'd agree that the stoic audience is maybe a bit out-of-whack, and there are a couple of performers who look a bit uncomfortable at times, but for most of these guys, it was akin to being a fish out of water. While Big Joe Williams might have been playing to white kids in 1964 and 1965 at Big John's in Chicago, he hadn't seen audiences the size of what he did in Europe. Add in the fact that most of these players had never been in front of movie cameras before and you're bound to have a few moments of bewilderment or confusion. It's the rarity of the footage and the ability to see these people (many still in their prime) that makes these worth every cent.

More reviews coming soon...

BW
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rustyslide » Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:57 pm

I finally found a copy (volume one)! I hadn't been able to find one for sometime, and I was in the mall today when I noticed a sign that read "We do special orders" at the shop I do most of my CD buying, and so asked them to order it. The girl at the cash went and pulled it out of the 'various' section... I had been looking under 'a'. D'oh!

I love it!

ramble ramble ramble
I got ramblin' on my mind.

[a href="http://www.geocities.com/hocmaximesugit/" title="my portfolio" target="_BLANK" style="text-decoration:none"]hoc maxime sugit[/a]
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby bosco » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:37 pm

Don't ask me why I waited a year to get these...I guess I'm just a damn fool. In fact I'm sure of it.

TOTALLY REMARKABLE- NOT TO BE MISSED!!!

you can't possibly call yourself a serious blues fan if these are not in your collection. If you are Christmas shopping or someone has asked you what you might want- look no further and put these on the list.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby b dub » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:43 pm

Bosco said: Don't ask me why I waited a year to get these... you can't possibly call yourself a serious blues fan if these are not in your collection.

And all this time I thougt you already were a serious blues fan. Now that you have these, you can rightfully be called serious about your blues. Check the new reviews I posted today... lots of DVD and CD releases that should interest you - including the Sonny Boy Williamson DVD!
b dub
Regular

Postby bosco » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:37 am

I'll ckeck 'em out. I'm serious.
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Reviews The Blues