Gunsmoke Blues - DVD

Your chance to write big-time blues reviews. Only two rules: First, if you're connected to the band or artist, go to Shameless Promotion; Second, don't write a book -- keep it relatively short and simple, no 1,000+ word epics.

Oh .. and make it fun.

Gunsmoke Blues - DVD

Postby blueswriter » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:01 pm

Various Artists
Gunsmoke Blues
Hip-O (2004) DVD

http://cover6.cduniverse.com/MuzeVideoArt/27/232627.jpg

B&W, approximately 90 minutes. Recommended. With the number of blues-related DVD releases over the past few years, fans could almost consider the music to be back on an upswing. While that's not quite the case, we have been fortunate to see rare, previously-unreleased and legitimate footage from various years of the American Folk Blues Festival featuring countless icons, and additional material from Albert King, Freddy King, and a handful of others. The Hip-O label seems to be leading the charge having released a large percentage of what we've viewed recently, and Gunsmoke Blues is another trip back in time with Big Mama Thornton, Big Joe Turner, George "Harmonica" Smith, and Muddy Waters. In November of 1971, Link Wyler and the film crew of the television series, Gunsmoke, left Hollywood and headed North to aim their cameras at these blues giants instead of their usual work filming Marshal Matt Dillon and his sidekick/deputy , Festus Haggen. Backed by what appears to be Bacon Fat (minus Rod Piazza), Big Mama Thornton dishes out Early One Morning (more commonly known as Mother-In-Law Blues) and her riveting Ball And Chain singing powerfully and blowing strong harp before giving up the stage to George "Harmonica" Smith who tears through a shuffling Juke and the slow and deep Leaving Chicago. Smith is in potent form vocally and delivers his usual high standard of brilliant harp work (both diatonic and chromatic), and although apologetic for his performance, his two performances are blistering. Big Joe Turner is in good form overall (looking a bit rumpled although smartly attired in shirt, V-neck sweater, sports jacket, slacks, and black and white Pro-Keds sneakers) belts out Hide And Seek plus Shake Rattle And Roll with the same band before the climax of Muddy Waters doing four songs using his own band. While Mannish Boy, Long Distance Call, Hoochie Coochie Man and Got My Mojo Working have been previously-released, viewers should be pleased with the sharper video and stronger sound quality available here. The main portion of the DVD closes out with the superstars doing So Long before the bonus footage, which includes further interview segments and additional material from Thornton (Rock Me Baby/Hound Dog) and Waters (She's Nineteen Years Old/Walking Through The Park), plus audio-only tracks from Big Joe and Smith. With blues fanatics being the somewhat eternal optimist type, seeing J.B. Hutto on stage during the fianle leaves hope that Hip-O has even more in the vaults for future release. Gunsmoke Blues is a superb and worthwhile addition to any blues collection.

http://www.hip-o.com/releasedetail.asp?id=B000271409

© 2004 by Craig Ruskey
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Gunsmoke Blues - DVD

Postby jeffl » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:11 pm

Thanks, B-dub. Good shootin'!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:15 pm

How is anybody supposed to save up these days?
J.B. Hutto? Muddy Waters? Big Joe Williams? Etc.?
Sold.
BW, you should be on commission...
stumblin
Regular

Postby blueswriter » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:23 pm

BW, you should be on commission...

I wish... thanks for the comments guys. There's more coming throughout the day as I catch up on some items needing attention. Stay tuned.
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby david » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:34 pm

BW, I did get the AFB Vol. III DVD and it is as good as you said it was.

My only disappointment with it was Houndog Taylor. I could have never imagined him to be so subdued. He just looked completely out of his element, like he was going through the motions and hoping the song would end. Looked like they sobered and cleaned him up and he was still trying to figure out where he was. I almost felt sorry for him.

Here's my question: Are there any videos available of Houndog in his full glory?
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby blueswriter » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:43 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jan-07-05 AT 02:46 PM (EST)]BW, I did get the AFB Vol. III DVD and it is as good as you said it was. My only disappointment with it was Houndog Taylor... Here's my question: Are there any videos available of Houndog in his full glory?

There's a (CD-ROM) bonus clip on Alligator's 30th Anniversary two-disc set that has Hound Dog playing in his natural element. In my opinion, that makes the price worth it without the two CDs of music that happen to be included. Other than the footage on the AFBF DVD and Alligator's bonus, there's nothing else I know of, which is sad considering how many times Hound Dog Taylor was recorded in a 'live' setting.

http://www.alligator.com/artists/albumphotos/AL112.jpg
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby david » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:49 am

Thanks. I will keep that CD-Rom in mind. My recent purchases of music have the wife looking over my shoulder at the moment, but as soon as the coast is clear...
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby blueswriter » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:17 pm

David...

The suggested retail price on the Alligator twofer is $16.98 I think, which means you can probably score it a good deal cheaper than that. Used would be the least expensive route and it'd show your wife that you're a smart shopper. :o
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby david » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:02 pm

I'll start looking about for it. Can't turn down deals like that.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Reviews The Blues