John Lee Hooker - 1949

Your chance to write big-time blues reviews. Only two rules: First, if you're connected to the band or artist, go to Shameless Promotion; Second, don't write a book -- keep it relatively short and simple, no 1,000+ word epics.

Oh .. and make it fun.

John Lee Hooker - 1949

Postby blueswriter » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:18 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jan-07-05 AT 07:26 PM (EST)]John Lee Hooker
Jack O' Diamonds - 1949 Recordings
Eagle (2004) 20024-2

http://cover6.cduniverse.com/MuzeAudioA ... 518633.jpg

20 tracks, 61 minutes. Exceptional. It's difficult to accurately capture the importance of these John Lee Hooker recordings on Jack O' Diamonds, but if the fact that they were missing and thought lost for more than a half-century is any indication, you should NOT be without this disc. As important as Hooker is in the pantheon of blues, some listeners grew tired of the 'endless boogie' he was known for in later years, as well as others who moaned and complained while offering that nothing in his catalog was as captivating as his initial solo recordings in 1948. The naysayers can now put to rest their nitpicking and opinions. This is Hooker stripped to the raw essentials that helped land him on the lofty perch he held as a major influence and one of the last ties we knew with deep roots in the Mississippi Delta. Not only is this John Lee at his naked and barest self with nothing more than his voice, acoustic guitar, and feet, it's also insightful and heartwarming to hear brilliant renditions of songs he seemed to leave behind once he hit big with Boogie Chillun. Stemming from a private performance held at the Detroit home of music enthusiast Gene Deitch in 1949, Hooker is utterly wonderful doing Two White Horses, Ezekial Saw The Wheel, Old Blind Barnabas, Moses Smote The Water and John Henry. Add to that his convincing approach to Catfish Blues, How Long Blues, Six Little Puppies And Twelve Shaggy Hounds, Come And See About Me and the stirring Jack O' Diamonds, among others, and you've got what amounts to critically essential recordings from a forgotten period in the life of the late John Lee Hooker. Whether your tastes lean toward Pre-war or Post-war Blues, this magnificent offering with exceptional sound quality stands as one the highlights of the many blues releases to hit the shelves in 2004.

http://www.spitfirerecords.com/eaglerecords/index.htm

© 2004 by Craig Ruskey
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

RE: John Lee Hooker - 1949

Postby boz » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:14 pm

Hey Thanks B,
I just shot an order to my favorite music supplier. JLH/'49' an Mule Variations are headed towards my mailbox as we speak.
-
EXCELLENT review (as usual)
We missed ya Dub.
boz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jellyroll baker » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:38 am

Great review. I've been curious about this one for a while. As luck would have it I'm headed to the city tomorrow. I'll grab a copy while I'm there.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jaybird » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:25 pm

Yes, I got this CD after xmas. And it is great. The background noise is cool too, you can hear a car drive by and later on a definatley white voice saying "I've never heard anything like that before" right after John Lee finishes a song. Imagine that. A must have for any blues fan.

Jaybird
jaybird
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluesmcgoo » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:33 pm

Yes! Absolutely!

I got this a couple of days ago, based on B-Dub's review, and it's GREAT! Thanks B-Dub!
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bottleneckjohn » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:53 pm

Hey blueswriter!

And thanks, I just read this about John Lee and I'm gonna go buy this disc right away!!

Sounds very interesting and I haven't heard any of the real old stuff from Hooker..!!

Great!!

John
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby blueswriter » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:52 pm

It's definitely one to get. Once you latch your ears onto this one, you'll be hooked for a while! Drop your thoughts in once you get the CD - I'm always interested in feedback and hearing other's thoughts on the discs reviewed. I'd say I hope you enjoy the Hooker but that's sort of redundant as I'm sure you will.
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Reviews The Blues