Sonny Rhodes Live

Your chance to write big-time blues reviews. Only two rules: First, if you're connected to the band or artist, go to Shameless Promotion; Second, don't write a book -- keep it relatively short and simple, no 1,000+ word epics.

Oh .. and make it fun.

Sonny Rhodes Live

Postby doc williamson » Sun May 29, 2005 8:56 pm

Last night I had the opportunity to see Sonny Rhodes at The HOB Blues Kitchen in Orlando. Sonny lives in Central Florida but is almost always on the road. He leaves Tuesday for Italy and a three month European tour.

He played two hot, well received sets and was in excellent form on guitar, lap steel and vocals. His tight backup band consisted of drums, bass and two other lead/rhythm guitar players. One of the guitar players was Selwyn Birchwood who is in his early 20s and plays lead guitar in the band I am in, Blues4Hire.

Sonny always dresses so well and last night he wore a muted orange and cream zoot suit with matching hat and shoes. It is refreshing to see a well dressed and refined gentleman playing the real Blues. Bob Margolin and Walter Trout should take note.

Sonny and the band had great dynamics and song selection. Though he is playing virtually every night somewhere in the world his music and vitality are always fresh. Now in his 60s Sonny is a true living Blues treasure.

I highly recommend seeing his live show if you can and, if can't buy his CD "Blue Diamond." This isn't a live recording but an excellent CD with the added bonus of an interview with Sonny as the last track.

Of special interest in this day and age where most guitar players feel they need a vintage or beat up guitar to play the Blues, Sonny was playing a recent issue $200 Epiphone Les Paul Special II guitar with a great tone and sounded superior to the two other guitar players using custom Strats with one humbucker and two single coils in each guitar. Sonny also played his $300 Blue Star Lapmaster lap steel guitar. If anything, this proves once again the soul, sound, style and talent of the player surpass the price or perceived quality of the guitar.
doc williamson
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Sonny Rhodes Live

Postby blueswriter » Sun May 29, 2005 10:00 pm

Nice review, Doc. I've always loved Sonny's appraoch and style. I've only seen him twice but I can say I came away completely satisfied both times. Thanks for posting a solid review on one of his 'live' shows.
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby richard ary » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:46 am

richard ray

yeah, sonny is a great musician. a friend of mine, randall "slim" dubis is currently with sonny on rhythm guitar
richard ary
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:10 pm

Nice review Doc! Great to see yer words again! Yeah, those Epi Specials are cool... I have one and I think I only paid 140 bucks fer mine and it's a screamer!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby T-bone » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:52 pm

Talk about a nice gentleman! I had the privelige too see him live and even jam some with him. He had just recived a brand new Telecaster from his wife as birthday present and I got the chance to try it out! He still hasnĀ“t gotten the recognition that he deserves!
T-bone
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:57 pm

Yea, Sonny is one-of-a-kind.

I was very fortunate in the late 80's - Sonny was hosting the weekly Jam at the "Barbary Coast" on Frankford Ave. in Philly. He was super-encouraging but ran a very competitive, critical Jam session - and opened doors to gigs for young artists he liked.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Reviews The Blues