Finally Jumping In!

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Finally Jumping In!

Postby CrimsonLake » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:06 pm

Hey All! I've been browsing for awhile now and figured it was time to say Hi.

There's alot of great information here and it seems like a pretty friendly place. I've been playing since I was a teenager but took a break for ... oh about 25 years! I started up again when my son started playing. I don't play in any particular style, but I love the blues and have been heading in that direction. I came across this place through some buddies in the Ovation Fan Club.

I've got a long way to go, but the journey is the fun part, isn't it?? :D
CrimsonLake
Regular

Re: Finally Jumping In!

Postby jeffl » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:09 am

Welcome to the pile Crimson. I'm pretty sure that you'll be the first Ovation fan who's piped up around here, lol! If you thought that Old Stella was a southern whiskey, this place will open whole new worlds for you. Pull up a stool.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby goldbrick » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:06 am

Welcome

We have a few Ovation fans here( I have a 70's Glen Campbell )
I believe Birddog is an Ovation fan too.

I used to work in Marlton off route 70 back around 1990
goldbrick
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:23 pm

Welcome!
ricochet
Regular

Postby birddog » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:56 pm

Welcome
I admit I'm a member at OFC, sometimes you just have to make the rounds.
This is a excellent site, nice to see you here.

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby CrimsonLake » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:15 am

Thanks everyone. Out of the Ovation stable, I use my Tornado quite often - strung up with Tomastik flatwounds - to try my hand at the jazzier side of the blues. It's a hollowbody - Gibson 335 lookalike. It's appx. 40 years old and is in great shape.

I also have a Fender Deluxe Players Strat that has been severely modified - I have a new maple neck and tuners on the way, so the only original part left will be the body and the tremelo. I have added Texas Special pups, GraphTek bridge saddles, nut and string T, new electronics and a new pickguard. The original pg was tortoise and just did not look right with the blue body. I also removed the S1 switch... but I'm considering putting it back.

The amp is Fender Blues Jr. NOS tweed.

Now if I can find some talent, I'll be off and running!
CrimsonLake
Regular

Postby birddog » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:23 pm

Nice CrimsonLake
Like to try out one of those Tornados someday, looks SWEET !
Nice Strat, nothing wrong with severely modifing a strat, get them how you want them.
Definatly agree on the pick gaurd, donno about the maple neck but thats just me.
Should be able to get some nice sounds from the Blues jr. (I want one someday)

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby Jane fromLondonUK » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:28 pm

Oh yes, that Tornado is a beauty. I had to avert my eyes as I felt a bad GAS attack coming on. :)

Welcome to the forum!
Jane fromLondonUK
Regular

Postby CrimsonLake » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:40 pm

birddog wrote:...donno about the maple neck but thats just me.
Wally

Wally - what don't you like about the maple?

I've got ebony, rosewood and a walnut fingerboard. Maple just seems right for this Strat. I had a beautiful flamed maple viper neck that I sent off to Woody from the OFC.

I'll post before and after pics when it arrives.
CrimsonLake
Regular

Postby CrimsonLake » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:42 pm

Jane fromLondonUK wrote:Oh yes, that Tornado is a beauty. I had to avert my eyes as I felt a bad GAS attack coming on. :)

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks Jane. That was one of the best bargains I've ever gotten on a guitar. I have a blond Thunderhead as well... but the Tornado just does it for me.
CrimsonLake
Regular

Postby Crossfire » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:58 pm

CrimsonLake wrote:I also have a Fender Deluxe Players Strat that has been severely modified - I have a new maple neck and tuners on the way, so the only original part left will be the body and the tremelo. I have added Texas Special pups, GraphTek bridge saddles, nut and string T, new electronics and a new pickguard. The original pg was tortoise and just did not look right with the blue body. I also removed the S1 switch... but I'm considering putting it back.

I had a Players Deluxe for 2 years. It felt so good and when I got home and checked everything, only the high E was out of intonation by maybe a 1/4 step. Wore the frets out, and unfortunately it fell off a chair and the headstock broke. Grrrr...I ended up buying the Road Worn Series 60's strat about a month ago. I'll tell you, even though it is "reliced" and there are mixed feelings from many people out there, this guitar plays unbelievably well. Ahh enough rambling....Welcome!
Crossfire
Regular

Return to A Bit About You