My mom wants me to play at my dad's funeral service

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

My mom wants me to play at my dad's funeral service

Postby Pastor Harmonica » Wed May 27, 2009 11:29 am

Hey gang, Sad day on memorial day my father past away. He was 84. Now my mom wants me to play the battle hymn of the republic at the service. I can play it very well. I have my own style and blues it up alot. Pop always liked it alot. The problem is that I don't think I can make it through it with out loosing it. I've tried to practice it but have not been able to get through it completely. My father was a marine in WW2 and was very proud of it. Have been praying lot for strength. Thats all I can do. Just thought I'd share this with you guys.
Pastor Harmonica
Regular

Re: My mom wants me to play at my dad's funeral service

Postby zhyla » Wed May 27, 2009 2:52 pm

Sorry to hear that Pastor. Even though you won't make it all the way I'd say go for it - if you break down the whole place probably will too, and that's just fine.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby allanlummox » Wed May 27, 2009 4:49 pm

Tough break...but Zhyla has the right track here. Any emotional expression is going to be appropriate, and heartfealt, and true.

On the other hand, I know I was a mess at my dad's funeral - it was all I could do to hang on to the brass rail.

My sympathies.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed May 27, 2009 5:01 pm

Very sorry to hear about your loss Pastor. I vote that you honor your mother's wish though. I know how much my harp playin' means to my mom, and I'll bet yours ain't much different.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby birddog » Wed May 27, 2009 6:45 pm

I concour with everyone else.
Prayers sent, sorry to hear of your loss.
If it meant a lot to him he will get you throught it.

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby maxx england » Wed May 27, 2009 6:53 pm

There's film from the Falklands War of a young bugler struggling to get through the Last Post at a memorial ceremony in Port Stanley. Making it all the way through wasn't importamt, playing all the right notes wasn't important, what was important was that he played it the best way he could.

My family background is not emotionally good, so when I see people who love and care about each other, I try to make sure they understand how much it really does matter. I'm with everybody else here, I think you should go for it. If you don't get to the end, if you hit all the right notes in the wrong order, it won't matter. What does matter is you'll have done this for your father and he'd have wanted you to do it.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Pastor Harmonica » Thu May 28, 2009 1:30 am

I would like to thank those that replied to my message you were a great help. I thank you for your support.
God Bless you all and keep on blues'n. Ken (pastor harmonica)
Pastor Harmonica
Regular

Postby lamont542 » Sat May 30, 2009 1:49 pm

HI Pastor:

Sorry to year about the loss of your dad. My prayers are with you.

I agree with everyone. You may have some rough spots, but you will get through the song and will be glad you did.

I did a eulogy for my mother at her funeral service. I broke a bit but got the strength and finished. I was very glad I did.
Your dad would be proud of you and will be smiling down on you and your mom.

Best Wishes,

Lamont
lamont542
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat May 30, 2009 7:23 pm

Ken, you do what you think best. I'd have a mighty hard time doing that. Like they said, though, nobody'll mind if you can't get through it.
ricochet
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:33 am

i lost my dad at age 4. i was no harp player then! and at 13, the granddad who first turned me on to harp passed, and again, i was not a harp player yet. would that i could have!
6 years ago now, a dear friend passed suddenly. he was not only the keyboard in the band we worked with, he was a brother in a very true sense. we were partners in crime and thought so very much alike. i knew robin for only a few months but he was the first true friend i had made here in this new state i had moved to. his passing was a complete shock and tragedy. his wife asked me to play at his memorial. i agreed of course, and immediately knew what to play and sing- sittin' on top of the world. no idea why but it was just the right song. i enlisted the leader of the band to come with his guitar and we did a duo on the song. it was the first time i'd ever sung it. yes, it was tough. yes, we made a mistake or two. nobody minded, and it was a catharsis.

i hope by now you've had your chance and come what may, you did what you could as well as you could.

by the way, your dad, my dad, and all vets have my deep gratitude. they have given so that we could live the lives we have.

peace to you pastor.
jbone1
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:14 pm

I'm late getting to this thread but I'm sure the hard times aren't over yet so I'll add my prayers to those already sent.
I wouldn't be able to get through it either but I would do it anyway, for the same reasons already mentioned.

Thinking of you Ken

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Pastor Harmonica » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:24 pm

OK Thanks be to God, I did make it through it. I only messed up in one part but the notes I hit gave it a bluesy touch, imagine that. Thanks everyone, You guys are the greatess. Peace, Ken
Pastor Harmonica
Regular

Postby lamont542 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:28 am

Hello Pastor Harmonica:

Not sure if you got my previous post.

I have written to you in the past. Yu suggested that we could meet and say hello. I live neawr Reading, Pa.

Would you like to meet sometime in Exton, Pa. to say hello.

Let me know.

Best,

Fred
lamont542
Regular

Return to A Bit About You