Introducing Myself From Pennsylvania

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Introducing Myself From Pennsylvania

Postby lamont542 » Sun May 24, 2009 2:50 am

Hi Everyone:

Found this site while searching for harp info. Am a recent member and this is my first post.

Will be 71 in July and have been taking harp lessons for three years. Have not played an instrument in the past but always liked the harp. Began learning the basics of the ten hole diatonic with the thought of providing personal enjoyment, basically for me. Enjoy the blues which is what I am most interested in playing. Can't seem to get the hang of the two hole bend to play the F note. The ohter bends came easy.

Practice at least a half hour per day, sometimes longer. My teacher wants me to learn to read music which I am trying to accomplish. In the interim, last May to be exact, he encouraged me to get a 12 hole Chromatic, which I did. We have been spending more time on the Chromatic than the Diatonic and it seems I am not getting to play the blues. This is my fault, I understand, but since he is a degreed musican, plays guitar, mostly, and a little harp, thought he knows a lot more than I.

Any thoughts from any of you folks would be greatly appreciated. It is difficut for me to learn to read and master the instrument, where the notes are.

Will enjoy this site. Thanks for making this forum available.
lamont542
Regular

Re: Introducing Myself From Pennsylvania

Postby multisounds » Sun May 24, 2009 3:49 am

Hi Lamont,

Welcome aboard this spaceship! You'll find people here are acknowledgeable, knowledgeable, helpful and always good to talk all things music. I'm no harp player but I bought a little harp the other day by brand "Johnson" blues harp. And staring at it infront of me it has 10 holes and I wouldn't know what notes they are. :D

Music is for the world and practice playing what your heart desire is the real key! :lol:

cheers
multi
multisounds
Regular

Postby Pastor Harmonica » Sun May 24, 2009 7:03 am

Hey lamont, What part of Pa are you from? I'm originally from West Chester area .
Pastor Harmonica
Regular

Postby Jane fromLondonUK » Sun May 24, 2009 9:50 am

Hi Lamont,

Can't help you with the harp I'm afraid. I have a couple kicking around, but never really got anywhere with them.

Welcome to the gang, though. There are plenty of people here who will be able to advise you.

J
Jane fromLondonUK
Regular

Postby lamont542 » Sun May 24, 2009 3:39 pm

Jane fromLondonUK wrote:Hi Lamont,

Can't help you with the harp I'm afraid. I have a couple kicking around, but never really got anywhere with them.

Welcome to the gang, though. There are plenty of people here who will be able to advise you.

J

Hi Jane:

Thanks for the reply. It is good to be a member.

Best Wishes,

Lamont
lamont542
Regular

Postby lamont542 » Sun May 24, 2009 3:42 pm

Pastor Harmonica wrote:Hey lamont, What part of Pa are you from? I'm originally from West Chester area .

Hi Pastor Harmonica:

Thanks for the reply. I live near Reading,PA. West Chester is about 30 miles from my home. Have been there many times. A nice area.
lamont542
Regular

Postby lamont542 » Sun May 24, 2009 3:52 pm

multisounds wrote:Hi Lamont,

Welcome aboard this spaceship! You'll find people here are acknowledgeable, knowledgeable, helpful and always good to talk all things music. I'm no harp player but I bought a little harp the other day by brand "Johnson" blues harp. And staring at it infront of me it has 10 holes and I wouldn't know what notes they are. :D

Music is for the world and practice playing what your heart desire is the real key! :lol:

cheers
multi

Hi " multisoundds"

Thanks for the reply. Nice of you to respond.

Believe your advice is good, play what you like. I've been playing Hohner harps, mostly because it is a name I knew. Also, the music studio where I take my lessons, sells the brand. I have a few C harps, one G and a C Chromatic.

Best Wishes,

Lamont
lamont542
Regular

Postby cristiano » Mon May 25, 2009 1:41 am

Hello friends.Nice to meet you.I'm cristiano from spain.
Regular

Postby lamont542 » Mon May 25, 2009 12:52 pm

Hi Christiano:

Good to hear from you. You folks have some well known golfers. Do you play?? I am a golfer and play the harp.

Thanks for the hello.

Lamont :D
lamont542
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon May 25, 2009 4:26 pm

lamont542 wrote:Good to hear from you. You folks have some well known golfers. Do you play?? I am a golfer and play the harp. Lamont :D

Doesn't the rack get in the way of the swing?

Welcome aboard.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Tue May 26, 2009 1:14 am

...I was arrested in West Chester once....nice area indeed. Probably too nice for the likes of me!
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Pastor Harmonica » Wed May 27, 2009 11:11 am

Hey Lamont, Glad to hear you are taking lessons. I took some for advanced blues harp and it really helped out. I play mostly diatonic and mess with a chrom. a little. The chrom. does take alot of practice and is hard to master. Some of us never do. There are some web sites that will help out alot just type in chromatic harp lessons and see what is avaible. Alot of teachers have different ways of teaching. I think it is a matter of finding the right method of learning that suites you to understand the chromatic. You said you pratice alot. Have you tried it with jam tracks? I find it very rewarding and you learn to play in your on style. Lessons are great but everybody has there own way of playing. Don,t rush it it 's not something you learn overnight. The notes will come and your own style of blues will follow. A little now will add up to alot later. Good Luck. P.S. We only live about an hour or so apart maybe we can get together sone time and jam.
Ken ( Pastor Harmonica)
Pastor Harmonica
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat May 30, 2009 7:25 pm

maxx england wrote:Doesn't the rack get in the way of the swing?

The LPGA seem to be able to deal with it.

Welcome aboard.

Likewise.
ricochet
Regular

Return to A Bit About You