The Me Thing - Don't we all love that?

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

The Me Thing - Don't we all love that?

Postby Rob Brown » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:17 pm

It was my great fortune, considering the alternative, to turn 62 years old On March 26th. Married. Employed full time in the merging voice and data industry - for a few more years. My technician's disposition makes emotion driven, uninhibited playing not my natural approach. I really want to do it that way....but I can't yet. If I know I can do it I'm OK putting it out there but I have to be convinced I can get it done. Fragile ego? Maybe, but I don't have too bad a reaction if I screw up. More about that in the About Gigs forum later.
I've been taking lessons for 4 years. The first two were a waste for me, but I am persistent. The first teacher wasn't a good match for me. I now have a great teacher and am finally feeling like I am a guitar player. I need to play with other musicians more. I'll get busy making that happen....soon.
I'm loving Guitar/Blues/Blues Guitar/Electric/Acoustic. I just can't get enough of it.
Rob Brown
Regular

Re: The Me Thing - Don't we all love that?

Postby jeffl » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:05 pm

Welcome to the forum Rob! Have you tried hypnosis or electro-shock therapy for re-wiring your brain,lol?
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:21 pm

I have found that the best way to get a shock is see two consecutive posts from Rico that stay above the waist.

There's various BRBodies down in Florida, but how close they are to you, I don't know. You might even have been to the same gigs as them and not known it.

The technician approach is a good one, it means you'll learn the basics and build up as you go, all good solid theory and system, then one day it'll hit you and you're going to be a passenger as the music comes down your arms and tries to earth itself out on the strings. It's a hell of a feeling when it happens.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rob Brown » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:26 pm

jeffl wrote:Welcome to the forum Rob! Have you tried hypnosis or electro-shock therapy for re-wiring your brain,lol?

I knew there was a secret! It just looks so easy. Don't know if my group insurance will cover the treatment.
Rob Brown
Regular

Postby Rob Brown » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:31 pm

maxx england wrote:I have found that the best way to get a shock is see two consecutive posts from Rico that stay above the waist.

There's various BRBodies down in Florida, but how close they are to you, I don't know. You might even have been to the same gigs as them and not known it.

The technician approach is a good one, it means you'll learn the basics and build up as you go, all good solid theory and system, then one day it'll hit you and you're going to be a passenger as the music comes down your arms and tries to earth itself out on the strings. It's a hell of a feeling when it happens.

Damn! I can't wait for that to happen. Occasionally I get just a little taste and it's the best. Any one in the Tampa Bay area? I live just North of, and work in Tampa.
Rob Brown
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:36 pm

It'll happen, if ya' keep playin'. Many of us here can attest to the fact that even a blind squirrel eventually finds an acorn. Look for people to play with, and that speeds up the process. If you have fun, you'll generally keep motivated and make strides.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby goldbrick » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:49 pm

Miami here - welcome

Used to work for Lucent and ATT before big layoffs a few years back
goldbrick
Regular

Postby birddog » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:15 pm

Welcome Rob, great 1st post.
I thought I started late when I picked it up again a little over a year ago at 52 after a 30 year hiatus. Just proves your only as old as you feel & that the love of the blues did it for me to start playing again.
Like you I tried lessons for a while but mine wasn't a good match. I found that instructional DVD's work better for me. I'd like to find others to play with as well and the more concerts I attend the more people with a shared appreciaton of the blues I meet.
Used to live down your way (Sarasota) in the early 80's but couldn't handle the summers.

Keep on keepin on !

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:09 pm

Welcome!
ricochet
Regular

Return to A Bit About You