From the Hill Country of North Mississippi

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

From the Hill Country of North Mississippi

Postby Jbyrd 88 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:01 am

Hi guys,

I'm an old (61) primarily blues pianist. Grew up in the same town as Mose Allison and lived across the street from his sax player when I was a kid. Started out in the Mississippi Delta region listening to the likes of Little Milton, BB King, Albert King, Robert Jr. Lockwood, Elmore James, etc. Now reside in the Hill Country of north Mississippi where most of the bluesmen are named Burnside or Kimbrough. My home is about a five minute drive from Fat Possum Records, the folks responsible for putting R L Burnside on the map. Have freelanced for the last couple of years because I'm too old for the every weekend gigs. Am friends with Jim Dickinson, owner of Zebra Ranch Studio, producer/engineer, blues pianist, and father of Luther and Cody of The North Mississippi Allstars. Most recently have been fortunate to share the stage with Mr. Johnny Billington, James "Super Chikan" Johnson, and Josh "Razor Blade" Stewart at Morgan Freeman's Ground Zero Blues Club in Clarksdale Mississippi. I consider myself a blues player but was influenced greatly by Leon Russell, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Ray Charles. Looking foward to learning lots of new things here on this site.

Jbyrd 88
Jbyrd 88
Regular

Re: From the Hill Country of North Mississippi

Postby rustyslide » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:39 am

A very hearty welcome!
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby maxx england » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:29 pm

And he's looking forward to learning of us? Well, if you want to know how to fall off motorcycles, me, Rico, 601, can show you how to do that. Not so sure about the music though.

Welcome, and don't forget, new boys get the drinks in :mrgreen:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Slim » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:36 pm

Welcome! Maybe we'll see each other at the HillCountry Picnic in June! I am an ol Mississippi boy myself (From down around Hattiesburg) but live in NEw Orleans now. Love your part of the state up there. Great folks.
Slim
Regular

Postby songdog » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:00 pm

Welcome to the Road Jbryd! My family has deep roots in the Laurel/Stringer area. Haven't been back there in a while but a Mississippi road trip is on my mind.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Jbyrd 88 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:32 pm

My family has been here since it was the Mississippi Territory. I'll soon be 62 and am sitting here only 32 miles from where I was born and only about 20 miles from where my great-great grandfather was born. I have left a few times but didn't stay long. We are always 49th or 50th in different polls. We have the fattest people in the country, the poorest, the least educated, the most unwed mothers. What they never say about us is that the Blues, Rock & Roll, Country, and I believe Jazz, since W.C. Handy, the Father of Jazz is from Tutwiler.......all came from here.....not to mention some of the greatest writers ever to put pen to paper. There's a song or a story everywhere you look around here. Take that road trip man. Visit some real Juke Joints. It's worth the trip.

jbyrd88
Jbyrd 88
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:38 pm

Jbyrd 88 wrote: We have the fattest people in the country, the poorest, the least educated, the most unwed mothers. jbyrd88

Sounds just like home. Wait til i get that lottery win :mrgreen:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:09 am

Welcome!
ricochet
Regular

Return to A Bit About You