Just signed up

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Just signed up

Postby titaniumslide » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:18 pm

Hello to everyone, I just created an account here on The Big Road Blues. I just bought a National Lap Steel and would like to know what tunings work best for playing the Blues?
titaniumslide
Regular

Re: Just signed up

Postby ricochet » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:49 pm

Welcome! Open D (or E) and Open G (or A) are the usual favorites for beginning lap slide playing. What National steel did you get?
ricochet
Regular

Postby maxx england » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:57 am

Where are you Titanium? Might be somebody close by to show you stuff, you never know. Not sure Titanium is a good name to choose, we call Ricochet Ric, you see.............
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby titaniumslide » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:22 pm

Hello and thanks for the replies. The guitar is a yellow color MOTS with the volume control on the treble side and tone control behind the bridge. Both are mounted on aluminum plates with scales from 1 to 10. The cloth covered signal cable is connected directly to the guitar. The bridge is one piece and the pickup is mounted on it with tabs that are bent over to hold it in place with 2 maganets on each side and a cover plate with holes for pole adjustment. Currently the 500k volume pot is frozen. This unit needs some work, but it will be a fun project. The serial number is not the usual metal plate, it is stamped on the back of the neck on the MOTS below the head stock. it's either Cxxxx or Gxxxx. It has a cool case made by GEIB a arched topped tweed with blue crushed velvet.
titaniumslide
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:00 am

I don't know a lot about these things, but I'd love to see a picture!
ricochet
Regular

Postby titaniumslide » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:53 pm

Happy Holidays to everyone
So here's some photos of my National Lap Steel I think it's the Princess model. I tried to get a photo of to serial number, but it just was not showing up. Do these guitars have single coil pick ups? I need to re-wire this one and I would like to know if should I use 250k or 500k pots? There is also a couple of spots where MOTS has bubbled up from the wood, is there a method to get it bonded back to the wood?
Thanks in advance
Attachments
IMG_4838.JPG
IMG_4834.JPG
IMG_4831.JPG
titaniumslide
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:01 am

That is really cool!

The pickups are single coil. I'd use 500K pots, but can't say for sure what National used. (The reason Fender went to 250K pots was to take some of the sharp treble edge off of their single coils, and personally I think a lap steel should be capable of a pretty bright tone.) Remember that Gibson single coil pickups used 500K pots, something they carried over to their humbuckers. Rick Aiello could tell you in a flash what the original pots are: http://horseshoemagnets.com/
ricochet
Regular

Postby budzz89 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:16 am

titaniumslide wrote:Hello and thanks for the replies. The guitar is a yellow color MOTS with the volume control on the treble side and tone control behind the bridge. Both are mounted on aluminum plates with scales from 1 to 10. The cloth covered signal cable is connected directly to the guitar. The bridge is one piece and the pickup is mounted on it with tabs that are bent over to hold it in place with 2 maganets on each side and a cover plate with holes for pole adjustment. Currently the 500k volume pot is frozen. This unit needs some work, but it will be a fun project. The serial number is not the usual metal plate, it is stamped on the back of the neck on the MOTS below the head stock. it's either Cxxxx or Gxxxx. It has a cool case made by GEIB a arched topped tweed with blue crushed velvet.

its nice to you been installed the GEIB its more likely better than before

Return to A Bit About You