Guess who? Littleboy blue!

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Guess who? Littleboy blue!

Postby littleboyblue » Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:13 pm

Hey Everyone,

Yeah I'm not really sure where I came up with the name, I was just trying to think of something on the spot when registering, but hey I think it works, everyone needs a blues name right? Haha. Well, anyways, my real name is Nate and I'm from Vermont. I have been playing guitar for almost around a year as far as serious playing goes. I've owned a guitar for much longer, but it simply sat in a closet for years never being played. Now don't attack me, but blues is not the first thing I have gone for on my axe, it's actually a very new thing for me. I've played punk, even hardcore metal, but most of my playing has been acousting such as folk, and a lot of celtic, also modern acoustic or "mellow rock" I started trying to learn the blues just a little while ago when my friend who plays bass got me into it. I love the music (John Lee Hooker is amazing). I picked myself up a washburn hollowbody and started getting some help from my friends father who happens to be a member here, I think he goes by kwill. It was my friend's father who also got me hooked on the harp. SO now I'm learning blues guitar and harp, as BB King would say how blues can you get? My friend's father also pointed this site out to me, and I'm loving all the info. I hope to learn a lot from you guys, and whatever I can, though that's probably pretty minimal at this point considering my level of knowledge, but I'll sure try.
littleboyblue
Regular

RE: Guess who? Littleboy blue!

Postby jeffl » Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:26 pm

Welcome from Minnesota,LBB. Heckuva place to learn a few things here. Unless you're a really gifted musician you might want to think about concentratin' on one instrument at first, unless you just wanna get a little action on the side. 'Pends how serious you are about gettin' to the level of some of these cats around here. Dig through the site and link to some of these guys sites & gofer it.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluesmouse » Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:07 pm

Hi LBB, welcome to the board!
I too have dabbled in rock/punk before I started digging the blues- can't get enough of that prewar stuff now though. I'm trying to get my harps together too- what kind of stuff have you been listening to?

Cheers,
B-mouse.
bluesmouse
Regular

Postby bluesmcgoo » Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:23 pm

Hey LBB!

Welcome to the Big Road!

You sure landed in the right place. Lotsa info here, along with some great folks.

ENJOY!

McGoo
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby littleboyblue » Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:38 pm

Hey guys,

Yeah Jeff, I know the danger of trying to do too much at once, but I'm not really that worried because I'm not out to become a professional. I just love music and love experiencing it anyway possible. If I can jam with some people and share the enjoyement even better, If I can get to the point where I'm good enough to do something like an open mike, awesome, get to share the experience with that many more people, but I'm not too worried about becoming as good at guitar as Hooker, or as good at harp as John Popper because let's be honest I'm never gonna be that good. As long as the music puts a smile on my face I'm happy. (well I'm not alwyas smiling, it is the BLUES, but you get my point).

Bluesmouse - Feels good not to be the only one. For blues I've been listening to a lot of Hooker, I've also been listening to Muddy Waters, and Howlin' Wolf. The other day I picked up a Blues collection cd set with 100 blues songs, it's awesome. It's called Masters of Blues I think. I also like Blues Traveler, I know they aren't real bluesy, but I like Popper's harpin'

Thanks for the welcome McGoo
littleboyblue
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:15 pm

hey blue: I got that masters comp.,too- had it a little while- I think it hit me on a pop-up visitin' this site, or another one; but, I love it- just plain good listenin'. Sounds like you got a good attitude about the playin' stuff,too. Didn't mean to try to school ya'. Have fun here; it's a great bunch of people.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:10 am

LBB, welcome!
ricochet
Regular

Postby david » Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:28 am

Welcome, and feel free to jump in any time, its an open party here. There are some folks here that really know their stuff and are glad to share. Then there are the rest of us that are along for the good time--and we don't mind throwing in a phrase or two on occassion.

If you've got access to Kwil to help you over the rough spots your in good shape.

If you are just getting started in the blues, be forewarned: the blues is a whole bunch bigger on the inside than it looks from the outside.

;;
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby slidnslim » Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:54 am

Welcome Nate, And if you ever wander a little west looking
for a Music store, check out themusicoasis.com lots of
cool blues axes there, and the the big ugly old fart sliding around
in the back well thats me say hello!

Kenny,
slidnslim
Regular

Postby bluesmouse » Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:36 pm

Hi again LBB,
I really like Howlin' Wolf's harp playing, keep meaning to sit down and steal some of his licks.
bluesmouse
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:47 pm

Littleboy blue! You do know where you came up with the name, don't you? I mean, I'm no blues historian, but isn't that what SBW2 went by? Maybe that's a no-brainer to everyone else here- I just play harp.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby littleboyblue » Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:13 pm

Haha, Jeff, you're right! I didn't know that before, but I just did some looking aound and it looks like SBW2 went by little boy blue in his early years. I suppose it can't hurt to name yourself after one of the greats, right :) Guess I'm Little Boy Blue Two
littleboyblue
Regular

Postby dcblues » Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:15 pm

I'm trying really hard to not post that Andrew Dice Clay joke. :)

Welcome aboard!
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:11 pm

Yeah, and I'm not going to say what I said to my brother when he used the handle "Little Boy Blue" on the CB back in the '70s.
ricochet
Regular

Postby stumblin » Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:18 pm

"Yeah, and I'm not going to say what I said to my brother when he used the handle "Little Boy Blue" on the CB back in the '70s."
Rico, man you're a doctor, surely you must have some idea of the stress this kind of thing can put a bloke under. Whatever happened to your Hippocratic oath?
I would therefore respectfully request that you spill these particular beans, for purely therapeutic purposes, of course ;)
stumblin
Regular

Next

Return to A Bit About You