Formerly "King Bee"

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Formerly "King Bee"

Postby hoodoo hand » Wed Jun 05, 2002 6:03 pm

Seems I unwittingly took the handle of someone rather well known here'bouts, so entirely on my own and out of respect for him, I changed to Hoodoo Hand.

hoodoo hand
Regular

RE: Formerly "King Bee"

Postby ricochet » Wed Jun 05, 2002 6:38 pm

Did run across somebody's slide guitar webpage that called himself King Bee, wondered if that was you. :)
ricochet
Regular

RE: Formerly

Postby srvlives » Wed Jun 05, 2002 6:58 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jun-05-02 AT 02:58 PM (CST)]Didn't Moj use to call himself 'Brian King Bee Robertson'?

'I use heavy strings, tune low and floor it. Floor it, that's technical talk' SRV
srvlives
Regular

Postby bosco » Wed Jun 05, 2002 7:46 pm

Thought maybe it was my "King Bean"/Boston crack that intimidated ya.

Welcome back, Hoodoo!

"You guys are stickin' pins in my doll!"
Barry Corbin, Northern Exposure
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Thu Jun 06, 2002 2:55 pm

Hey Hoodoo, (I like the sound of that) any prominent bluesmen hail from Boston? What's the state of the art there?

We know Beantown has given the world J. Geils, Aerosmith and the Cars. (much obliged) Seems I vaguely remember George Thorogood being from New England.

"If you put a money dog on my trail, he wouldn't strike a cent."
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Thu Jun 06, 2002 4:49 pm

George Thoroughgood's band was once known as "The Delaware Destroyers." That might be a clue.
ricochet
Regular

Postby blueswriter » Thu Jun 06, 2002 4:52 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jun-06-02 AT 12:52 PM (CST)]Thorogood is a native of Delaware, I think. He played around here a lot back in the days when he was just beginning. I remember him opening for a number of folks at some really small joints around Boston and Cambridge. As for Boston's claim on bluesmen (I just noticed that I took it upon myself to answer your question to another)... lots of transplanted folks like Ronnie Earl and Luther "Guitar Jr." Johnson called it home for a number of years. Paul Rishell and Annie Raines are in the Boston area, as is Troy Gonyea, the new guitarist for the Fabulous Thunderbirds. There were a lot of great years around here when people like J.B. Hutto and Eddy Clearwater were playing the small joints on a monthly basis. Of course, like most other places, 'live' blues has been declining for a long time. I will say that Boston sports some of the best used record and CD in the northeast with a real healthy selection of blues discs to rummage through. This Boston suburbanite wonders if Hoodoo recalls the days when Sugar Ray and the Bluetones were backing Big Walter, Otis Rush and others and we could go out to see Roosevelt Sykes, Johnny Shines, or the early incarnation of the T-Birds at the Speakeasy... those were the days!

Blueswriter
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Thu Jun 06, 2002 8:46 pm

BLUESWRITER- Thanks for the detailed intelligent response. I knew you were from Mass and figured you'd jump on that one.

RIC- You're givin' away your age; was Delaware still a colony then? I got Georges' first national release on vinyl (1977) and there's no "Delaware" in the title. BTW-You spelled "Thorogood" wrong, please gets your ducks in a row before you bust my chops next time. ;-)

went down to the crossroads...
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby hoodoo hand » Fri Jun 07, 2002 5:05 am

I'm a bit out of Boston, next to Worcester actually, but I've learned everyone on the 'net knows where Boston is (even those that can't quite place Massachusetts!). I used to watch Geils at Tamany Hall, when they were still in college. I also ran a coffee house that was part of the circuit Bonnie Raitt started on (she's from Holden). And more recently,there's Susan Tedeschi. Can we claim Duke Robillard? He's really from Rhode Island... :)

BW, I was a card carrying member of the Club 47, in the Square. Saw Canned Heat and Siegal Schwall there, remember them? I was only 16, so that was '64. Later, I chased Muddy, Otis Spann, Big Mama Thorton, and the 3 Kings when they came around to the rock clubs. Got to see Fleetwood Mac at the Tea Party and Mayall with Green and Taylor. Wish I could remember better.... :)

hoodoo hand
Regular

Postby hoodoo hand » Fri Jun 07, 2002 5:29 am

In more recent terms, I have to report two sadnesses. Mai Cramer, on e of the greatest, and longest running, blues DJ's is now sitting in with the angels. She was the hostess of "Blues After Hours" on WBGH, a show she created in '78. I miss her.

Gilrein's Home of the Blues in Worcester has closed and may not re-open. It's been a source of gigs for many local blues musicians over the years. Cross your fingers, say some prayers. It's little places like this that get people started.
hoodoo hand
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Jun 07, 2002 6:14 pm

Hey Bosco, wasn't out to bust your chops! :)

Dunno about colonies, but we did have radio back then. You had to crank it for a while before you could listen.

I live right up the road from a town formerly known as Jonesboro, now Jonesborough; guess it's contagious. :D
ricochet
Regular

Postby bosco » Sat Jun 08, 2002 12:42 pm

Hoodoo- Yes, I remember the Siegal-Schwall band. Had some stuff by them on 8-track back when I first picked up the harp.(now I'm givin' away my age) Corky was one of my early heroes. I guess I never knew where they were from, or maybe back then, it really didn't matter.
I'm into the history as much as the music nowdays. Fascinating to discover the regional influences and origins of the musicians. Thanks for sharing...

PS- I'll have to get some S-S on CD, haven't heard them in ages. Can anyone recommend the best one to get?
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby hoodoo hand » Sun Jun 09, 2002 11:40 am

My favorite was "Say Siegal Schwall", There's a "Best of" CD out now that seems to cover most of the bases.

hoodoo hand
Regular

Return to A Bit About You