RE: Hi there, everyone!

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Postby bosco » Tue Aug 13, 2002 10:16 am

>Everytime I think of something in my head I'd like to be able to play, it always ends up being some kind of blues sound.<

Thats how you know that the blues is your calling...you came to the right place! Blues knowledge abounds here and BRB is absolutely the best slider sight on the net...WELCOME!

went down to the crossroads...
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby diamond » Tue Aug 13, 2002 4:25 pm

I'll second that!...Welcome, and enjoy.

Big D.
diamond
Regular

Postby inbred » Tue Aug 13, 2002 7:01 pm

Welcome to the blues. IMHO the blues is more about feeling than any other kind of music. It's simple and complex at the same time (More profound than I usually get). As far as slidin goes you done been hooked boy. Where in central Illinois you at? I'm from Lafayette, IN. Enjoy the blues.
inbred
Regular

Postby srvlives » Wed Aug 14, 2002 2:14 am

Oh No!! a question!! sheesh, you're in for it now guy....

IMO, glass is best for electric.

'BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM' John Lee Hooker
srvlives
Regular

Postby pikengren » Wed Aug 14, 2002 2:40 am

Welcome,
I'd definetely go with glass on electric. Glass seems to sound kind of dead on acoustic. That's not law, just a suggestion. I've only been messing with slide for about a year myself. Wish I had started earlier. This is really a cool site.
I'm originally from the Joliet area in Il.

I know, everybody funny.
Now you funny too.
pikengren
Regular

Postby inbred » Wed Aug 14, 2002 12:13 pm

Yeah, what they said about glass slides and all. For acoustic I use heavy steel slides that I make.
inbred
Regular

Postby ernest » Wed Aug 14, 2002 2:24 pm

I use a wine bottleneck for acoustic guitar an metal for electric guitar.
ernest
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Aug 14, 2002 5:20 pm

I like metal slides on acoustic, the thicker and slicker the better. I alternate between a Jim Dunlop 224 brass slide and a Craftsman 3/4" 6-point socket for the most part. But on the electric glass works better Partly because the strings are thin and light and the glass slides are lighter; less problems accidentally mashing the strings into the fretboard, and the light strings won't bounce the light slide off like happens on the thicker acoustic strings.

I still have hoarded away a few little glass urine sample bottles that used to come in a kit given away with samples of StuartNatal prenatal vitamins. My guitar teacher loves the one I gave him and absolutely guards it like a precious jewel. (You should've seen him when he dropped it on the carpet a couple of weeks ago!) He says it's the best slide for an electric he's ever tried. Way better than an old Coricidin bottle. I can barely get my little finger into the mouth of the bottle and can't use it on my ring finger, as I've come to prefer. If your fingers are slender and you play electric, check around with your doctor friends and women who were pregnant in the '70s to early '90s and see if you can glom onto one of these things.
ricochet
Regular

Postby bek1 » Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:03 am

I use the thickest Dunlop slide for acoustic and electric, but I think it's so individual that it's hard to say what's best. Depends on how you pick (fingers or pick[thick or thin], hard or soft, up at the neck or back at the bridge), strings, pickups, amps, guitar construction and personal tonal taste. I use a Stevens bar on my lap steel, but the glass slide suited me there, too. Experiment, it's fun. You may find something completely unique.
bek1
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:21 pm

Welcome!!

For acoustic I use a huge honking piece of brass... (conveniently in a slide shape), and for electric I use a very thick glass slide. If I find a thicker one, I'll use it. I just find there's more tone in ticker materials.

cheers!
-me

ramble ramble ramble
I got ramblin' on my mind.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Return to A Bit About You