G'day from Down Under

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

G'day from Down Under

Postby hashtaff » Thu Jul 11, 2002 1:49 am

Hi everyone,
You wouldn't know it from my youthful demeanour but I,m reall an old dude (late 40's)
I am Welsh but moved to Tasmania, Australia 15 years ago.
Have allways enjoyed music evolving through folk (John Renbourne, Bert Jansch), jazz (George Melly) Welsh Rock (Man -who are still going strong, Gentle Giant)Generic Rock (Cream,Led Zeplin, Yes etc.
Discovered the blues about ten years ago. Took up the tin sandwhich a couple of years ago. Initially VERY frustrating as I was listening to a lot of Charlie Musselwhite and couldn't (and still can't) work what key he is in let alone what position he is playing half the time.
Picked up the guitar again recently, after many many years and was never much good so am having weekly guitar lessons which I love ..especially slide.
Found The Big Road Blues via a "play like Clapton site"
http://www.12bar.de/index.htm which had a link to DrMojo's slide lessons.. Fantastic!Great site!
In summary a blues enthusiast whose performance aspirations far outstrip his ability but hey, we all have to dream.
Don't look down .... Man
hashtaff
Contributor
Contributor

RE: G'day from Down Under

Postby houndog » Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:00 am

G'day,
saw Man with Cipollina on gtr....not sure if he was the rhino, the wino or the lunatic....!

But where are the SkyHooks...?

adios,
Lovat.
houndog
Regular

Postby grzz51 » Fri Jul 12, 2002 2:13 am

>Hi everyone,
>You wouldn't know it from my youthful demeanour but I,m
>reall an old dude (late 40's)
>In summary a blues enthusiast whose performance aspirations
>far outstrip his ability but hey, we all have to dream.
>Don't look down .... Man

Welcome HashTaff.... I got you beat by a few....... I've been playing since '65 and learning blues since about '70... and I still have got a long way to go....... we all aspire to lofter goals than we might be capable of......
grzz51
Regular

Postby bosco » Sat Jul 13, 2002 2:40 pm

Hash, Welcome mate! Never quite heard of a harp referred to as a "tin sandwich" but I like it. Musslewhites' a tough nut to crack for a beginner, hell for most anyone. Guys like him switch harp keys in the middle of songs and play a lot of minor keyed and chromatic stuff. You need to set your sights a little lower and stick to major keys before you are totally dejected and give up.

Be sure to join us in the Blues Harp forum, we need participants...

went down to the crossroads...
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sat Jul 13, 2002 5:32 pm

I like the "tin sandwich" name, too! :D
ricochet
Regular

Postby badfinger » Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:51 pm

And I thought he meant a reso! Just goes to show (I did wonder about the Musselwhite comment tho').

bf
badfinger
Regular

Return to A Bit About You