RE: "Well it's eight o'clock in Boi

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Postby ricochet » Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:27 am

Good bass players and drummers seem to be hard to find anywhere.

Great stuff you've got there! Hope you have a blast at that National workshop! :)
ricochet
Regular

Postby bosco » Tue Jun 04, 2002 12:38 pm

DocFox- Welcome! Every time I hear Boise mentioned, I think about the Richard Pryor movie, "Moving". Hilarious. Check it out if you've never seen it. Impressive list of gear you have and enjoy.

I'm in a blues band in Michigan. We have 2 great guitar players, a stellar dedicated bass player, a keyboard player with a Hammond B-3 and I play harp. We practice twice a week, gig a lot, and the sound has really come together. BUT...we have had 5 drummers in the last 2 years. The current drummer (probably the best of the lot) has now missed the last 3 practices and the last time didn't even call! What is it with these guys? Who can shed some light on this?

"If you put a money dog on my trail, he wouldn't strike a cent".
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby drmojo » Tue Jun 04, 2002 12:56 pm

Regarding drummers: Just watch Spinal Tap.

Seriously, I think finding a dedicated blues drummer is next to impossible. Most of it has to do with the fact that drummers learn and enjoy playing a wide range of styles and the blues becomes VERY old to them VERY quickly. I hasten to add that there's a wealth of rhythm and subtle stuff in blues drumming, but most don't want to get into the range available and head off to greener pastures. And again, drummers are scarce and can go where the money is.

Also regarding drummers: Headline in a newspaper, "Five Musicians and Drummer Injured in Van Accident."

har har

Moj
drmojo
Regular

Postby bosco » Tue Jun 04, 2002 1:49 pm

Doc, GREAT headline, I'll use that one!

Regarding drummers; I agree 100% with your take on the situation. Two of our past drummers never improved, not taking the time to learn the subleties, changes and stops involved with a classic blues repertiore.
The other three almost had a mercenary quality to them, jumping easily from blues to classic rock to country. They left for other bands often playing in two bands at once, not caring about which style they played, only who had the most gigs. When both bands have a gig the same night, said drummer has to make a choice and the excrement really hits the oscillator. Real fair to the other five MUSICIANS.

went down to the crossroads...
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:52 pm

Just to let you know, the Lynyrd Skynyrd reference didn't fly by unnoticed, either.

Ever play "Mr. Banker?" There's some really low-down blues, and easy to play in Open D7 tuning. :)
ricochet
Regular

Return to A Bit About You