RE: Another New Guy!

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Postby badfinger » Sat Apr 27, 2002 10:05 pm

hello
badfinger
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Apr 27, 2002 11:27 pm

Welcome, Lefty! :-)
ricochet
Regular

Postby chillywilly » Sun Apr 28, 2002 3:45 am

Hey Lefty,
Son House, Bukka White, Etta Baker, Mance Lipscomb? You say you're new to the blues? Well I guess you got a good start on it. Can't go wrong with that lineup. Good to have you here with us,
-Chilly
chillywilly
Regular

Postby badfinger » Sun Apr 28, 2002 3:52 pm

Saw a video of B White playing lap-style with a steel rod held like a drumstick. The story goes, he bought a guitar mail-order and the rod was mixed in with the packing, so he thought it was to play the guitar with... Is this just one of those tales?

bf
badfinger
Regular

Postby chillywilly » Mon Apr 29, 2002 1:23 am

BF, that had to be "one of those tales". If Booker White had a guitar and didn't know what to do with it I would be surprised as hell.

He knew what to do with it.
CW
chillywilly
Regular

Postby badfinger » Mon Apr 29, 2002 6:46 am

T'weren't the guitar he didn't know what to do with, t'was the rod; and I think it was when he was about 12 years old... (or 20, or... I dunno). The suggestion was that this happened in the early years, and was an explanation as to why he sometimes played with a rod in this fashion.

I tend towards the principle that if a story is a good one, and more delightful than reality, then to hell with the truth!

cheers

bf
badfinger
Regular

Postby blueswriter » Mon Apr 29, 2002 2:36 pm

Hey all...

Welcome aboard to the new "Charter Members" (I honestly didn't figure myself to be one, but I see we all are... very nice) here on the Big Road. Lefty, what "milk white" town in New England are you from? I'm from the area as well, about a half-hour North of Boston. Lots of great folks here with tons of knowledge, very active imaginations, and the humor runs rampant everywhere!

Blueswriter

"William Bunch, 39, known to "jive" fans as "Peetie Wheatstraw," and two companions were killed at 11:30 a.m. Sunday when an automobile traveling at a high speed crashed into the rear end of a Louisville & Nashville Railroad Co. freight train standing on a siding at Third Street and Illinois Avenue...
Bunch's widow was a witness to the accident. She said she was seated in a window of her home less than a block away from the scene of the crash. She said she saw the speeding car hit the box cars but was unaware her husband was involved until she ran to the scene."
(Clipping from the East St. Louis Metro Journal, Dec. 22, 1941 - in "The Devil's Son-in-Law" by Paul Garon - Studio Vista Books -1971)
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Mon Apr 29, 2002 6:18 pm

You know what Archie Edwards used to say about those "tales"? "If it ain't true, it ought to be!" :)

Welcome to the club, Lefty.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby chillywilly » Mon Apr 29, 2002 8:13 pm

Well you got a real good point there, Bad. I'll buy that. A good story never suffers from a little embellishment here and there-- and we've got more than a few storytellers around here!
-Chilly
chillywilly
Regular

Postby srvlives » Mon Apr 29, 2002 11:06 pm

Seems 'The High Sheriff From Hell' couldn't drive near as well as he could play. Neither can I, which sure says something about my driving...

'I use heavy strings, tune low and floor it. Floor it, that's technical talk' SRV
srvlives
Regular

Return to A Bit About You