Hi!

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Hi!

Postby ricochet » Sat Jan 12, 2002 4:43 pm

I'm new to the forum, but I've been reading Brian's stuff on the site and have had "Big Ass Buick" loaded on iTunes on my Mac for several months. :-) (I'm going to go through all of his lessons on MP3.com soon!)

I'm 46 years old, a family doc and med school prof in Bristol, Tennessee. I just started learning guitar last March, got into Delta blues in July, got a cheap Johnson roundneck dobro that I play with a socket or homemade bottleneck for a slide, and am having lots of fun! Last night after midnight I made my first recording (also first composition and first attempt at singing while playing), "The Answering Machine Blues." I recorded it on a boom box cassette in the bathroom and played it into the answering machine, so in a word it's ROUGH, but it turns out the fidelity of the machine's so poor that I don't think it can be improved upon. I'll digitize it and put it online in a bit in case anyone wants to see (or remember) just how low you can start out. :-)

http://www.oldengine.org/members/culp/dollycooking.jpg
ricochet
Regular

RE: Hi!

Postby ricochet » Sat Jan 12, 2002 7:18 pm

OK, as promised (or threatened), here it is: http://slidepicker.tripod.com/sitebuild ... eblues.mp3 :-)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Jan 13, 2002 4:29 am

I've heard from others having problems with that link. I think Tripod's trying to block direct access to files so folks have to see their ads. Try going to http://slidepicker.tripod.com/ then go to "My Guitar Page" and click on the link. The site's brand new and unfinished. Kind of like a house that's just a basement and some framing.

ricochet
Regular

Postby badfinger » Tue Mar 19, 2002 3:09 am

Waddya mean,Hi? Rick O'Shea, you old phoney blarney-spouting leprechaun! Posing as a newbie? There was I, thinking "There can't be two of them!"
"I'm new to the forum..."
There's a good old English expression (sort of late C16th) - Pshaw!
Answering Machine Blues? As ever - too polite! As you might expect, mine is to the effect: "...and if you feel I might possibly wish to speak to you, leave your number - after the bleep."
Seriously, Ric, you've got a bathroom to die for. The song was pretty good too!

Phoneman - don't you recognise a still when you see one? That's moonshine, man!

Be happy, John!

bf
badfinger
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Mar 19, 2002 5:23 am

Phoneman, badfinger's got it pretty well figured out, but what I tell folks is that it's a Diesel engine, and the big purple thing's a cooling tank. (Radiator.)

It's got a couple of chinchillas inside running for a peanut on an exercise wheel, and it's turning a generator that powers the electric grill. You can see more pictures of the setup at: http://www.oldengine.org/members/culp/dolly.html :-)

ricochet
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Mar 19, 2002 5:33 am

Hey, speaking of blarney, my 16 year old daughter Jennifer should be seeing (and likely kissing) that stone either today or tomorrow. (I forget the exact itinerary.) She's over there with the Bristol, Tennessee High School's "Mighty Viking Band." They were invited to participate in the Dublin St. Patrick's Day Parade. They gave a concert in Dublin's St. Patrick's Cathedral Saturday night, marched in the Dublin parade Sunday (I got to see them go by on a live Internet video feed, but the sound went out just at the wrong time!), then again in a small town about 30 miles away where the band director is rumored to have a girlfriend. Today they performed in an international band festival in Limerick, where I hear they took first place. I think it's tomorrow they're going to the place with the Blarney rock. Lots of the parents went, but somebody had to stay here and work. :-)

(I doubt my tricone would've passed for a carry-on, anyway.)

ricochet
Regular

Postby slidnslim » Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:00 am

Wow! blarney-spouting leprichaun, you guy's sure are helping me add to my english vocabulary? Slim
slidnslim
Regular

Postby badfinger » Tue Mar 19, 2002 2:27 pm

Well, you see, my mother's maiden name was:
Theresa Catherine Veronica Bernadette Gesintha Marie Fitzpatrick.
(Daughter of Sean Connor Fitzpatrick - Marie was added at confirmationm)

And what did she do? She went and married the eldest son of a RABBI!!

Still, I can make Irish jokes and Jewish Jokes by right!

Oy Vay Maria!

bf
badfinger
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Mar 20, 2002 4:53 pm

Welcome, Rooky! You'll like it here. :-)

ricochet
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Wed Mar 27, 2002 10:08 pm

If you're on a Mac, why don't you use a website hosted by Apple?
20mb, free, no ads, just for owning a Mac... you can sign up at itools.mac.com

You need OS9 or OSX though.

You get a url like mine (albeit with a different nickname than rustyslide.)
--
http://homepage.mac.com/rustyslide/

ramble ramble ramble
I got ramblin' on my mind
rustyslide
Site Admin

Return to A Bit About You