RE: GREETINGS FROM PAKISTAN !!!!!!!!

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Postby bottleneck » Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:34 pm

yes he's talking about vibrato ,and yes you can play slide on a strat.in fact many people consider strats to be the best slide guitar there is.ry cooder and bonnie raitt play strats,and the list goes on.i use a tele for electric slide myself.good to hear they play some bottleneck in pakistan!
bottleneck
Regular

Postby dougtheslug » Sun Mar 24, 2002 8:07 pm

Greeting from Canada, pakistan!

Tune in to Allman Bros, or Joe Walsh, or Eric Clapton on "Blues before sunrise" for an answer to your question about the slide on Strat, Tele or Les Paul. The biggest problem will be action! Most of these guitars if set up for fingerstyle, will have a low action - perhaps as low as 3/64th inch on the treble side and 4/64ths on the bass side. With even the slightest slide pressure, you're going to bounce off the frets and it will sound aweful and feel like crap. If you have adjustable bridge elements, raise each string by 3/64ths (measured of course at the 12th fret). To give you 6/64ths at the treble and 7 or 8 64ths at the bass (i.e. 1/8th inch). To measure, just get a set of imperial or metric equivalent drill bits and slide them under the string to measure. The tap the string on top. If it produces a tone, then the string is moving before it hits the drill bit. If the string produces no noise, then the string is already contacting the drill bit, and is the right height. The higher action will allow adequate slide pressure and will not seriously degrade the action then playing finger style. On the other hand, if you love low action bends and stuff and if your ear is very sensitive to intonation problems, you may want to reverse all of this after the slide playing is finished - or go buy another guitar.

dougtheslug
dougtheslug
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Mar 25, 2002 3:45 am

As a matter of fact, this afternoon I saw an old replay of a Saturday Night Live with Bonnie Raitt playing some absolutely killer slide on a Strat. She was using a bottleneck on her middle finger, BTW.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Return to A Bit About You