RE: Enter 'Clueless'

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Postby ricochet » Fri Mar 08, 2002 6:39 pm

Welcome, seesquare! I'm another beginner in my late '40s, and try to keep people fixed up as my day job. I have another hobby of fixing up rusty, worn out, abandoned old stationary engines and getting them running again; sort of like yours with the guitars. They're both a lot more fixable than people are. Right now I'm working on a 1950 G.E. 200 amp welder with a Wisconsin V-4 engine that got filled up with rainwater for several years from an uncovered air cleaner. (The carburetor froze and broke, and the pistons were rusted tight in the cylinders.) And turning my left little finger green playing my shiny new Johnson tricone with a brass slide. :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby badfinger » Fri Mar 08, 2002 9:57 pm

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-02 AT 04:59 PM (CST)[/font][p]Hi, seesquare and hello ric.
The rescue syndrome is a strong one isn't it? I spent 30 years in civil aviation, as a scientist and engineer, then in 1990 I quit - walked away from civil-service safety to be a clockmaker (or Horologist on high days and holidays). Now that's a misnomer, 'cos 'though I'll make you a clock if you want one, I spend my time restoring old ones. My wife reckons I'm just a born rescuer, and can't resist some old broke-down thing anyway, not just clocks. One of the last things I was involved in, in my previous existence, was developing performance requirements for airborne satellite navigation systems, where we were requiring the equipment to synchronise to the satellite 'clock' to at least 63 nano-seconds!!! As a scientist I can imagine such a period, but probably only in terms of processes that can occupy such a slot; as far as reality is concerned, it's as unfamiliar a concept as 63,000,000,000 years.
Now I tell my customers, as their clocks tick softly on: "It's good for a minute a day; if you want better, you can regulate it yourself, or, better still, change your life-style!"
Welcome, seesquare, sit back, ignore all those useless fingers (except your pinky, with its slide of course) and let the mood roll you along.

BF

ps: just re-read it and thought: That ricochet fella is bound to pick up on the fingers bit so: "... and the ones on your picking hand."
badfinger
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Mar 09, 2002 3:10 am

Good save on the fingers, badfinger! :-)

I got really fascinated with clocks when I was in high school. Found some great old books in the library (which probably got thrown out in later years, wish I had them!) on horology. A fellow with some mechanical aptitude, lots of patience and determination could've studied them and learned to design and build his own clocks and watches from scratch in 10 years or so. I never was that ambitious; my unrealized dream was to build a cherry tall clock case in the Aaron Willard style with a Herschede movement in it. Took some woodworking classes with that in mind. Moved on to other interests, but I still think clocks are cool.

I'm taking a break from the greening of the finger to replace the wimpy little .011-.050" strings that came on the Tricone (that were also starting to get rusty spots after a week of frequent playing) with heftier .014-.060" ones. I've got the old ones off and am pausing to let the rosewood fretboard soak up olive oil before putting the new ones on and resetting the intonation.

Oh, my cats have a history of running away when I come outside to play guitar, but this afternoon Callie (the one who helps me with the engines) climbed up on the bench and even over onto my knee (ouch, those claws are SHARP) while I was playing the Tricone. Don't know whether I'm getting better, she prefers the tone of that guitar to the others I have, or if being around my running engines has dulled her hearing.

(She seems to like the Walking Blues pretty well.) :-D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby badfinger » Sat Mar 09, 2002 3:10 am

I assume you've been here:

http://www.bigroadblues.com/slide/index.html

and the Stefan Grossman video is good:

http://guitarvideos.com/video/902.htm

There's tonnes more - I found great rewards (including this site) from a good search engine loaded with "slide guitar".

Then, as Berne might say, let your child out into the (Perle) field and play!

Stay cool

BF
badfinger
Regular

Postby badfinger » Mon Mar 11, 2002 8:39 pm

Ya gotta be integrative, man.
Metronomes is good, but I forget to listen to them, being all borne up in the music etc. It is well known (around here, that is) that when playing in public, I finish all songs at least twice as fast as I start them. The strange thing is I can hear it happening, but no matter how I strive, I can't hold it back. However, listening to, eg, Furry Lewis, Willie Johnson... I notice the same thing often happens for them, so what the hell!

Playing alone too much isn't productive - you need to jam around with others to see how good you really are - and how bad. And if you're not made welcome, no matter how neophytic, then they are,nt worth jamming with! I suffer from having a wife who can't tell a 12 bar blues from a binary form sonata, and who often exhorts me to "...play a Beatles tune, for a change, something people can sing along to." What - am I Max Bygraves?

Stay OK

BF
badfinger
Regular

Return to A Bit About You