RE: still sliden in maine

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Postby ricochet » Thu Feb 21, 2002 7:17 am

Welcome back! I'm pretty new here. Which hand, picking or fretting?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Feb 23, 2002 3:18 am

Well, I nearly tore my right arm off in a motorcycle accident. Went tumbling and my arm went behind my head and wrapped around my back. Shattered the humerus and the upper end was replaced with metal. Didn't start learning guitar till about a year after that, and couldn't hold my picking arm in the position to play for long. It's getting lots better, though! I love slide playing, too! :-)

ricochet
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Feb 23, 2002 9:48 pm

Well, I've always loved music. All sorts, really. Played some piano, trumpet and French horn as a kid. Taught myself to play lap dulcimer, recorders, Strumstick (a dulcimer variant), single note melody on the gusli and never was happy with the results. There's only so far you can go playing a single melody line when you're not able to get together with other folks to play in a combo of some sort. Piano and guitar are sort of unique in being able to accompany themselves, and are by far the most versatile instruments in Western music. My kids have taken piano for years, but I really never did much following along with their lessons as I thought I would, and they soon got way too far ahead of me to even try. Their beloved piano teacher moved away, we couldn't find another they were happy with, and my boy started taking guitar. He was doing very well, I found I really liked his teacher, my arm was getting rehabbed to the point where I thought I could learn to play and it'd be a nice challenge. More than anything, I thought, "Why not now?" I'd been quite impressed with the transient nature of life, and that the opportunities of the present won't always be here. So I started taking lessons from my son's teacher. I was intrigued from the beginning with his beat up old archtop and his slides, and he promised he'd teach me some Delta blues if I wished. I did, and after getting started into sliding late last summer that's about all I've done! :-)

ricochet
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Feb 24, 2002 12:29 am

I agree! Slide just seems like a really natural way to play the guitar, to me, anyway. :-)

ricochet
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Mar 02, 2002 2:12 am

Hi, Alexander!

In English a plectrum is usually called a pick. I've noticed that sometimes a stringed instrument played with a plectrum like a guitar is called a plectrum as well. That's not common usage in the U.S.

A great place to start on the slide lessons is to go to the home page of this site and take Brian Robertson's (Dr. Mojo's) slide guitar lessons. He has a site on http://www.mp3.com/ with the lessons recorded in MP3 format as well. :-)

ricochet
Regular

Return to A Bit About You