Just thought I would say hi...

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Just thought I would say hi...

Postby mardi » Tue Nov 20, 2001 6:24 pm

I started to play guitar "seriously" about 6-7 years ago. I credit Stefan Grossman and Rory Block for helping me discover all of the old blues masters,such as Charlie Patton,Rev.Gary Davis,Robert Johhnson,Blind Willie McTell,the list goes on and on. I love playing their songs. I now own a Guild 12 string,a National,a Santa Cruz PreWar,and a few other old acoustic guitars. I play in Standard,Open G,Drop D and am currently working on some songs in Open D. I want to thank Brian Robertson for the free slide lessons too,I listen to those lessons over and over again. My family and friends don't really appreciate this kind of music,they usually listen to more mainstream stuff. I think I am converting one of my close friends to the old Delta/Piedmont style though,I took her to see Rory Block and she was totally impressed. I'm going to be 52 years old next week,(I still can't believe it,there must have been a mistake on my birth certificate ha ha),anyway I am also a female guitar player. I get the feeling that this is a male dominated kind of forum,but hey that's ok with me !! I've learned an awful lot from reading the postings.
mardi
Regular

RE: Just thought I would say hi...

Postby notsonhouse » Mon Feb 25, 2002 3:40 am

Mardi,
Another Rory fan!!! I credit her with teaching me guitar as well. I played bass for decades. I am a YOUNG 50 myself. I keep an eye out and if Rory is with 200 miles of me, I am there.
Another female blues artist you may like is Joanna Connor, on Blind Pig records. She can sing a storm and plays electric slide that flat tears it up.

Been to the Crossroads,
Seems I fell asleep waiting though
notsonhouse
Regular

RE: Just thought I would say hi...

Postby notsonhouse » Wed Feb 27, 2002 8:03 pm

Thanks Al. Now you need the rest of Rory's material. She was 4 Vids and a 6 cassett set out as well. She plays a lot more slide these days, and is getting better all the time. AS to her right hand being steel. I would say GOLD. I have shaked her hand and it is calloused from all that pounding and banging. She does make it sound so sweet. Now you need to see her perform live.

Been to the Crossroads,
Seems I fell asleep waiting though
notsonhouse
Regular

Return to A Bit About You