Bending strings on acoustical guitars

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Bending strings on acoustical guitars

Postby danpoehler » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:47 pm

I'm a 60 year old newby. My Martin 000C-16GTE only takes light strings. My problem is getting that full note higher when bending - say the 3rd string 7th fret (D#, Eb) to a full F note. I can push this string up almost into the 6th string taking the 4th & 5th with it and still can only get a half-note higher. Can anyone recommend a good set of light gage strings that will respond to tonal change in bending with a resonable amount of force?
Thanks in advance,
DP
danpoehler
Regular

Re: Bending strings on acoustical guitars

Postby yidakipaul » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:03 am

Hi DP

In terms of note bending in my personal opinion, your just into a different ball game bending on an acoustic as a pose to electric.
The lightest strings I use are medium/light (I play a Martin 000x1 and Gibson J50)
M145 Light/Medium
12.5 16.5 25.5 33.5 43.5 55
An electric will comfortably bend a whole tone, for my money it just ain't the case on an acoustic
I have tried extra light strings in the past;
M170 Extra Light
10 14 23 30 39 47
They do bend easier (a whole tone is still a stretch if your not right up the neck)
I really don't like the feel of them - more importantly I don't like the sound of them they're really feeble sounding to my ears.

If you are looking to switch to very light strings long term, it's also a good idea to get your guitar setup for them (you'll probably have to put up with fret buzz otherwise)

Are you per chance an electric player switching over to Acoustic?
yidakipaul
Regular

Return to A Bit About You